No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jesus Braso  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Marc Braso

• Members
Jesus Braso
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
I managed to obtain a basket made by Jesus Braso recently, has anyone else seen  one of these?
Marc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Jesus Braso
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »
Marc is aware of this example in Dominics article, scroll down to "Braso’s Baskets" http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/DominicP.htm and is on the hunt for others.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »
Crikey - Dominic's article paints a very colourful image of Jesus!  ;D  He sounds like a right character - a complete contrast to the beautiful and delicate basket photographed!

Offline Marc Braso

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »
He was a very colourful character Pip, It is hard to imagine that he made such delicate and beautiful glass. He was a very humble man happier to be in the employ of others,and lived very simply even in his last years. He truly was a wonderful person, doting on his grandchildren, who would take great pleasure in taking me to the pub when i was only 11 and letting me stick my straw from my coke into his pint to get an illicit sip of beer!!
He died in 1975 but is remembered fondly as Grampo as we called him.     

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
Thank you so much Marc for sharing that with us - your Grampo sounds absolutely brilliant.  It's great that his amazing glass lives on and gives us the opportunity to talk about him now over 30 years after his death!  What a legacy  :)  I shall make a concerted effort to look out for his glass - did he sign his pieces at all?

Offline Marc Braso

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
No Pip unfortunatly he never ( to my Knowledge) signed his work, and frankly knowing what he was like he probably didnt believe (wrongly)it was worthy of signature. I also doubt he would have been allowed to but thats a guess.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:49:16 PM »
It's perhaps interesting that a few years ago a small number of these large and colourful baskets came up on eBay. But until this latest example, I have not noticed any others - but I may well have missed them if they were not listed with "ysart" or "monart" as part of the text.

I almost bid for one but decided against it as its size meant it would have been difficult for me to have on show anywhere. That's one reason I ended up focussing on paperweights ::)
KevinH

Offline Marc Braso

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
Well you never know Kev you may well have one of his paperweights, as he also made many other things other than the baskets. I have various things including a lamp shade, trinket dish, paperweight with a Photograph of my father as a baby in it,powder bowl and a few vases. My brother also has a lamp that he made. The problem is identifying his work as he never signed them

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:01 AM »
Photographs of his work being available in the community will certainly make a wider audience able to 'possibly' recognise his work. The baskets are certainly uniquely recognisable and that might not apply to his other work, but maybe it will :)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
Marc, it would be wonderful if when you get a spare moment (  ::) ) you could put pictures of your collection in the Glass Gallery so we can see more of his work?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand