No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help - I have Ivo's book but I still can't understand this Orrefors...  (Read 2099 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
I am writing up what I think is an Orrefors Vicke Lindstrand vase - wavy glass with engraved seagulls diving after tiny engraved fishes...

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4550   Vase
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4551  marks

I am sure the L is for Vicke Lindstrand, but I just can't work out what the other numbers mean.
I can’t make sense of the last two sets of numbers.

Added: btw, I have now sorted out the numbering.  I did find the numbers page on Great Glass, but this did not help me as Linstrand left Orrefors in 1940 and the numbering shown does not start until 1945.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Re: Help - I have Ivo's book but I still can't understand this Orrefors...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:54:41 PM »
L 1262 is a pre 1934 design (in the Jan 1934 catalogue) but don't know how long in production.

It's worth remembering that Ivo's book is trying to put a lot of info into limited space.

If you want a more detailed description of Orrefors signing, Orrefors a Century of Swedish Glassmaking lays it out over more pages.

The last two letters are usually the engraver code, but tthere's no EE or 33, so maybe year of manufacture ?

Taylog1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
Thank you Taylog.  It all makes sense now, and now that I have had my hand held I can see the info in Ivo's book as well.

I was lost in the many sections for Orrefors.  I agree, it does cram a load of info into a small space, it is invaluable, and Ivo must have spent a long long time compiling it.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »
When Ivo comes back I would be very grateful if he could shed some light on the 33 at the end please? 

thanks Ivo, and I hope you had a good time!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:36:40 PM »
Hi Lynne, I have just been trying to understand some marks like this myself and I think that I might have sorted yours out as well.  I have just found an engraved vase (pictured on page 178, bottom left of DKs 20th Century Glass by Judith Miller) with the marks;  Orrefors P 3613.56.69

Which I believe translates as;  Sven Palmqvist pattern no. 3613, designed in 1956, made in 1969.

The pattern number on yours is 1933 according to Ivo's super little book (page 108, Orrefors Marks on Engraved Glass, about 1/3rd the way down the left coloumn!) as they used numbers 1213-1294 in that year.  Now I get a little more hazy but It seems more than coincidence that the next number on your (33) and mine (56) is the same as the year of design.  What do you think, have I stretched it too far???  At least you have less numbers than me!
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »
When Ivo comes back I would be very grateful if he could shed some light on the 33 at the end please? 
thanks Ivo, and I hope you had a good time!

Well I'm back and yes I had a very good time - will report on that elsewhere.

It's a pity that Bill Geary has not been around as he is the best man to answer queries on Orrefors signing. I can only answer in general terms.

In production glass, article numbers are sequential by design, so you can (use the book) to find out when it was designed - not when it was produced. The last digits serve to identify the size of various sizes of the same article: /11 would be 11 cms. Not sure if this item was numbered and signed in the usual way - the "of" is a bit brief for a major early item, so who knows?

If you really want to get to the last detail you'll need to get the Orrefors production catalogues and identify the model and the matching number.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
Thanks Ivo!

Glad you are back and had a successful trip.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand