No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Isle of Wight?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Hannah Cramp

• Members
Possible Isle of Wight?
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:19:36 PM »
Hello,
This is a pretty vase i picked up at a car boot in the summer and i thought at the time that it might be Isle of Wight cylinder vase. I've done some research and now i am unsure. The base of this vase has the mottled pattern going over it and from the research i've done it seems that IOW ones have a smooth polished base.
This piece is 11" high and 2.5" wide. The glass seems to be clear and the colours are over-laid.
Anyone have a definative idea of the make?
Many thanks,
Hannah
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4549
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4548

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Possible Isle of Wight?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know an awful lot about Isle of Wight glass and I've had a quick check through the Mark Hill book with no luck, however Ron from Artius Glass will know - hopefully he'll see your posting.  Just a thought though, have you looked at Gozo Glass - I've mistaken GG for IOW before (considering both glasshouses were founded by Michael Harris I guess it's inevitable there will be some similarities).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »
 ;D

It does look like "Meadow Garden".

Unless it has either a green or pink band around the top rim? If it does, it might be "Pine Kyoto".

edited to add:- "Yes, it looks like Isle of Wight Studio Glass to me!" :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »
 ;D gosh I should have said 'Ron from Artius Glass or our Sue will know'  ;D

Offline Hannah Cramp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:21:59 PM »
Thanks Sue,
There's no coloured rim so i guess it's the later.
I'll check out 'meadow garden' on the IOW website to compare.
Pip - i didn't realise that Gozo glass was founded by Micheal Harris so thanks for that snippet too!
Han

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
Hi Hannah,

You could try asking them IoW studio themselves ~ they've been very helpful to me in the past.

Website is http://www.ukattraction.com/a_print/print_entries_frames.php?&e=801BSY&a=0

John.

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
Hi Hannah,
I'm almost sure that it is not an Isle of Wight standard production piece, and pretty sure that it's not Isle of Wight at all (ie; not even a trial or experiment). I'd need to see it and handle it to be 100% sure, but I think I have been 'fooled' by these before.
I spot something that looks like 'Meadow Garden' or 'Flower Garden' across a crowded antiques fair, then get up close to it only to realise it isn't what I thought it was at all. I'm sure this has happened to me with these vases before, and if you are saying that the pattern carried on all over the base, then yes I have.
Thing is, I can't be of any more help, as I have no idea who did make them, although I'm thinking someone possibly in the Far East or Central Europe in the last 15-20 years at the earliest. I won't say they are direct 'copies', but they certainly share certain characteristics of both 'Meadow Garden' and 'Flower Garden'!
Hope this helps a little, but it's certainly worth confirming my opinion with the Isle of Wight studio itself.
Best,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Hannah Cramp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »
Thanks Mark,
I've now put this on the forum on the IOW site too -just in case.
I really appreciate your comments and i unfortunately think you are right. It is a nice piece of glass but the more i look at it and handle it, i feel that it just doesn't seem right - like it's lacking in some way (if that makes any sense at all.) I guess the best thing i could do would be to go out and have a proper feel of a genuine IOW meadow garden and compare and contrast. Some field research. Oh what a bother it will be to go on a glass trawl! ;) I'll probably come back with full bags and empty pockets!
Many thanks,
Hannah

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »
 ;D 8)

Well, please, please ignore what I said! Sorry for raising any hope.  :-[
Thanks, Mark, for your expert, and far better than, my opinion.

I do think I've seen things that look like this, but just don't feel right. It's not a range I collect. After your opinion, I looked again, and I didn't like the big sharp-cornered bits of pink, I didn't like the way the pink was all at the bottom. I do think I had a bit that was this size though, with a label on it. I don't have it now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand