No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki or not Riihimaki that is the question.  (Read 6019 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Riihimaki or not Riihimaki that is the question.
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:51 PM »
Don't you just love jumble sales. I was toddling off down the dual carriageway 11.15am on Saturday and there it was, on the side of the road, Jumble Sale St Thingami Church hall 11.00am. Can't remember the church name now. Next turning I was off up the road and to the sale.
When I entered the hall there they were right in front of me, 5 big beauties, and the vases were nice too.
I asked the price and I was told £5, I thought that's quite good but not great. The lady then said they are £1.50 each if you just wan't one. Then the penny dropped £5 was for them all. Wow! :o
I have the photo here, I know the first on left is Aseda, the two olive green I think are Riihimaki but I am not sure of the turquoise blue one in the centre and the red one on the right.
Can you help, once again, please.  ::) I have placed a photo on the Glass gallery but wasn't sure how to move it here, anyway here it is..
http://i12.tinypic.com/2ppkilv.jpg

Thanks,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Riihimaki or not Riihimaki that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
The first vase is Aseda, Sweden, as you said. The fifth could be Aseda also, but could be Riihimaki too. They both made similar vases with little or no noticeable difference. I have noticed that Riihimaki pieces seem to weigh more and that the quality is a little better. I have read that the rims of Aseda vases are hot finished, whilst Riihimaki are polished. The second one is Riihimaki, as is the fourth. The middle one is just gorgeous. I can't be certain who made it, but have seen it listed as being Riihimaki.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »
What fab buys!  :o :D 

I've always thought the red vase shape was Riihimaki, but can't substantiate that - unusual (to me) in that red colourway actually.  Middle one is the occasionally called 'Rocket' vase, described as by Okkolin in a Millers guide - not sure about that claim either - but I'd say Riihimaki probably.  The green one next to the tall Aseda vase could be by Tamara Aladin; it's dinging a little bell in my head somewhere.  I tried looking at a fairly reliable website, but got bombed by dubious pop-ups, so I couldn't continue and book information on her is scarce.  Hope someone else can help.  :)

That's a jolly good collection of vases for the money anyway...congrats!

I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:46:56 PM »
 :o Woweeee - the last time I went to a jumble sale it was all smelly sweaters and incomplete jigsaw puzzles, they're obviously a better quality jumble sale around your way Bryn!  Fab buys, I can't add anything new to what Della and Max have already said (and let's face it, what they don't know about Scandi glass isn't worth knowing).  Nice one.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »

Hi Max,
The second one, the first green one, is in Andy McConnel's book, shown on pg.11, but in red. He states that it is "reputedly designed by Tamara Aladin for Riihimaki c1970 20cm (7.25") tall." I haven't actually handled one of these.

Pip,
Thank you for your very kind compliment (she says, blushing from ear to ear  :-[ ), but I think that know a fair bit when it comes to Riihimaki glass too.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »
I know I shouldn't wibble on Bryns' thread, but Pip!  I don't know everything about Scandinavian glass, far from it!  Holy cramoley, I wish I did!  :)  Thanks for the thought though.  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »
Della said:
The second one, the first green one, is in Andy McConnel's book, shown on pg.11, but in red. He states that it is "reputedly designed by Tamara Aladin for Riihimaki c1970 20cm (7.25") tall." I haven't actually handled one of these.

Aha!  That's where I'd seen it, I think it's on a website as Tamara Aladin somewhere too.  Well...according to Andy 'reputedly' Tamara Aladins'....

Nice team work going on here, cheers Della!  :D

I am not a man

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »
Thanks once again everyone for your superb assistance. I agree with you Della that the middle vase is fab both in shape and that stunning colour. I would have paid the full £1.50 for that alone, no mistake >:D. There was also a Poole pottery Aegean vase for 40p. I had that too, gave 50p and told the lady to keep the change, I'm no skinflint!  ;D
I find that if you can get to a Jumble sale within the first half hour since opening you can find some nice items. After that all is left is what Pip usually finds ;D. A lady friend of mine picked up a very flash 10" tall signed John Ditchfield vase at a local jumble sale for £1, and a nice little jumper  >:D.

Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
Tiina's Finnish Glass site gives the second left one as "Tuulikki" series by Tamara Aladdin (item no 25 on the glass page).

Edited to add: URL to Tiina's site removed after evidence of hosting malware download seen.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:25 AM »
Tiina's Finnish Glass site gives the second left one as "Tuulikki" series by Tamara Aladdin (item no 25 on the glass page).

That's the one I got pop-up bombed at Anne!  Probably harmless (you'd know, not me  :() but one of them was some kind of drive cleaner thing that I just couldn't shake off.  She didn't use to have them on there, did she?
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand