No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID for this crackle glass (?) sweet dish with snake please  (Read 1486 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
ID for this crackle glass (?) sweet dish with snake please
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
I've seen this footed sweet dish which is being auctioned tomorrow and wonder if anyone can give me any information about it. It's about 6" or 7" across and is, I think, crackle glass with a red and gold snake wrapped around the stem. I've been trying to find something like it, and have only come up with Blenko so far, but the 'crackles' seem finer than the Blenko pieces I've found.

If anyone's interested, it's lot number 609 at Lawrence's of Crewkerne, tomorrow at 9.30am. Their website is at http://www.lawrences.co.uk/

There are pictures of the base at
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/snake%20dish/?action=view&current=IM000284.jpg
and a detailed one of the snake at
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/snake%20dish/?action=view&current=IM000283.jpg

With many thanks in anticipation, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: ID for this crackle glass (?) sweet dish with snake please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:59 PM »
Hi John  :)  There's a chance this is French and Clichy, mid 19th Century.  I've got a book 'Antiques at a glance' - 'Glass',  by James MacKay, that has this style of glass in it.  However, there is a difference at the rim, as the goblets shown have a 'Ranftbecher' style of gilt, indented style there. A jug in the same style doesn't appear to have that indented style of rim though. The base looks like it could be ok...it's hard to see the 'scales' on the snake in the book - they look like they may be slightly different.

I've had trouble tracking this style down anywhere but in this book, maybe other people have more information.

maxine @ the email  button to the side here.

Edit:  Or is that gilt on the bowls' rim that you posted?

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »
Hi Max, and thanks for the very quick response.

As far as I remember, there wasn't any gilt on the rim. However, having had another good look at my pictures, there could be the remains of some very worn gilt there.

Is Clichy glass marked in any way?

Cheers, John.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:35:37 PM »
There's no mark that I know of on this type, but I'm not an expert - I just happened to think I recognised this piece.  You're welcome to email me.  :)
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Re: ID for this crackle / ice glass (?) sweet dish with snake please
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »
Would love to but, try as I might, I can't find the link. probably another senior moment!
Can you email me, or contact me through johnfandmaryp on eBay?

Cheers, John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand