No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID for my ice/crackle glass sweet dish with snake please C19th French?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
I hope you don't mind me opening a new topic on this, rather than continuing my previous one, but I have now bought these two pieces of (I believe!) ice or crackle glass and, despite many hours spent digging for information about them, I still haven't managed to find out an awful lot more. As I now have them at home, I've been able to take some better photographs, showing more detail, which are at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/mystery%20glass/

Thanks to Max, I've been considering Clichy, but have also seen tentative links with Baccarat, St Louis and a 19th century English maker by the name of Apsley Pellatt. I cannot though find anything to enable me to attribute them, and am hoping that someone here may have some information that they will feel able to share with me.

The dish with the snake around the stem is about 14cm tall by 18cm in diameter at the rim (5.5" by 7") and the bowl is about 17cm tall by 23.5cm diameter. They weigh approximately 570g and 1360g respectively. The glass is smooth on the insides and rough on the outsides, and the feet/stems are 'hollow' (i.e. not solid). They were both obviously made with gilded rims, but this has worn almost completely away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/IM000385a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/IM000415a.jpg

I should add that I am trying to decide what to do with them but, until I know what they are, don't feel able to make the decision! Any help would truly be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation, John.

Moderator: images converted to links

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: ID for my ice/crackle glass sweet dish with snake please C19th French?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:28:38 PM »
I have to agree with Max as being Clichy, in James Mackay's book page 93 there is a similar ewer and glass 's in the style of your taza.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »
Thanks very much for that Dexter ~ it's looking more likely all the time!

Cheers, John.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
I've got a goblet in the same style, with a blue snake on crackle. I'm interested in learning more about these pieces.....one book I have says it's French c.1850s & Manley says it's English, by Richardsons..... ???
Any clarifications(eg. more definite attribution) out there? ???
Thanks!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
I did see ruby snake/crackle in a shop recently, pretty sure that was attributed to George Bacchus, Birmingham, UK.  It might be worth looking into.   ???

I am not a man

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
??
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
Heartofglass said:
...one book I have says it's French c.1850s & Manley says it's English, by Richardsons...
In Manley's Decorative Victorian Glass on page 57, for item 24 (a red snake handled jug) he said, "Richardson ... Note the French influence in the use of the snake ..." (My underlining).

In Hajdamach's Briitish Glass 1800-1914, Plate 73 on page 102 shows a snake handled jug (much finer than the one shown in Manley's book). The text reference to this is in respect of the fact that the Richardson pattern books showed rococo revival items and indicated that the revival was popular from the 1820s to about 1870.

A while ago I was preparing an article for the Newsletter of the Paperweight Collectors Circle which was based on the subject of Lizards in 19th century paperweights. My research, as far it went, showed me that there was surprisingly little information on applied creatures on Victorian glassware, let alone inside paperweights.

But, through various contacts I learned that the earliest use of, for example, snake handles was in the 1840s. It also became clear that both the French and English produced items in that same style. I suspect that the Bohemians also made some, too. And what about the Americans? For popular Victorian decorative wares I would have thought that lots of makers around the world would have produced them. ... Or maybe not?

No answers from me then, just more questions. :)
KevinH

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:56:43 AM »
Thnaks for the suggestions.

I've now a reputable auction house in Salisbury take a look at the pieces and they say definitely mid 19th century French, but decline to identify a maker!

Cheers, John.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
Many years later but all the pics have disappeared from Photobucket host.
Therefore it's not possible to see what the thread information was referring to.
If you have the pics still would it be possible to add them back please?
Many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »
pictures are still missing here, but I came across this thread looking for something else.
Note - Harrach also made crackle glass or ice glass with snakes -Source - From Neuwelt to the Whole World page 175 where a ewer and goblet are shown with ruby snake with crossed ribbon gilding on it.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand