No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Majakka Oiva Toikka  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Glasetcetera

• Members
Majakka Oiva Toikka
« on: January 19, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »
Could someone tell me anything more about the Majakka (big lighthouse) of Oiva Toikka? I have found some information on the site below, there's a picture in 'Scandinavian Ceramics and Glass 1940-1980' by Schiffer and a very expensive ($ 950,00!) one for sale at Auerbach & Maffia. Any more articles and/or information and what is a reasonable price for this huge candleholder?

Thanks!

http://www.vjak.net/tuotteet/p24.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: Majakka Oiva Toikka
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi Glasetcetera,

It appears in Oiva Toikka: Glass, a catalogue published for an exhibition at the Finnish Glass Museum in 1988. It just gives the production dates as 1964-1973, price list 1966. Produced in clear, brown, blue, emerald green, green and violet. There's no mention of turquoise, like the one in the link, but the colours the book lists for other pieces has ommissions too. The pattern number for the top was N414 and for the column part N415. The column part was produced in two sizes - 50cm and 70cm.

I've no idea about value.

Robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glasetcetera

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
Thank you Robbo for the information and I will try to purchase the publication about Oiva Toikka you mentioned.

Regards,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »
Hi Glasetcetera,

If you're interested in Toikka it's certainly worth getting IMHO. There's a section on the "one-off" exhibition pieces, a section on mass produced items and a catalogue with illustrations, all dual language text Finnish/English.

Robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand