No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large candlewick footed bowl and similar light shade - ID = Masserini, Italy  (Read 11282 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Large candlewick footed bowl and similar patt. light shade
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
Taking my courage in both hands and enlisting the aid of FreeTran to turn my English question into German, I emailed the seller and asked if there was a maker's name and/or country on the box. This is his reply just in: "warde sagen firma a. masserini- made in italy!" - the company name says A Masserini, Made in Italy.

Now we need to know who A Masserini is/are...  I can't find a mention in Ivo's Glass Fact File, but did find a completed listing on eBay Australia for a different design which stated A Masserini, Milano, Italy.  Ivo, are they a part of the Bormioli group?

Or has anyone else heard of them before? (Googling for Masserini Milan brings up various companies, none of whom appear to be glassmakers.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »
well done, Anne. should have thought of that myself!  ::)
feel free to contact me, whenever you need to contact a german speaking seller!
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
Thanks Dirk, I'll bear that in mind for the next time. ;) Though it is good for me to practice as German has always defeated me before, so sending a message, being understood and getting a reply is encouraging! 8)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
I did a google and come up with lots of Masserinis in San Giovanno Valdarno - coicidentally the location of one of the largest glass industries in Italy now going by the name of IVV - Industria Vetreria Valdarnese. 

see here http://ivvnet.alphac.it/index.php
and here http://www.nouvie.nl/content/41IVV.asp

I suggest you download the 60 page fall/ winter catalogue (second link) and learn about all these textured plates and pressed items that are so familiar but you never could place. I am pretty sure the Masserini sugar was made there - though not in recent years. Consolidation of the different glassworks took a long time, incidentally. I have a vague feeling that moulds have been passed on and similar items are now being manufactured in Turkey and/or Indonesia.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 01:32:43 AM »
Ivo: Thanks for the references to the IVV catalogues. Very helpful!

David

PS Just checked where IVV is on Google Earth and I was about four miles away in October, at the Prada store (an equal time for spousal interests bargain). I could have been at IVV and left my wife alone at the Prada store. On second thoughts, not a good idea.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
Some Masserini pictures taken at a fleamarket this morning. Appears it was based in Abbiategrasso

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
  • Bormioli, Fidenza Vetraria, Saivo, Covetro...
    • Glassware
    • Italy
Re: Large candlewick footed bowl and similar light shade - ID = Masserini, Italy
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »
Angelo Masserini from Abbiategrasso (MI) was the owner for some years of the glass furnace in Altare (SV) named S.A.V. an existing glass factory nearly bankrupted and changed the name in Savam.
This from 1978 to 1992 when SAVAM went into Vetreria Etrusca.

So this could be a Altare made (machine made) item

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Large candlewick footed bowl and similar light shade - ID = Masserini, Italy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 11:40:33 PM »
Taking my courage in both hands and enlisting the aid of FreeTran to turn my English question into German, I emailed the seller and asked if there was a maker's name and/or country on the box. This is his reply just in: "warde sagen firma a. masserini- made in italy!" - the company name says A Masserini, Made in Italy.

Now we need to know who A Masserini is/are...  I can't find a mention in Ivo's Glass Fact File, but did find a completed listing on eBay Australia for a different design which stated A Masserini, Milano, Italy.  Ivo, are they a part of the Bormioli group?

Or has anyone else heard of them before? (Googling for Masserini Milan brings up various companies, none of whom appear to be glassmakers.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand