No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina 'Earthtones' Globe Vase  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Mdina 'Earthtones' Globe Vase
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:38:57 PM »
I've had this little vase for a while - it's Mdina, it's got a paper label, it's not signed to the base (just polished flat).  All I've been able to find out from my books and Googling is that it's from what was called their earthtones series from the 1970's.  Any further info would be appreciated - TIA.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_6497.jpg

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Mdina 'Earthtones' Globe Vase
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:32:11 AM »
I'm being extremely cheeky here but I'm bumping this up because Mark's around  ;D

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
Hi Pip, it seem,s there is a whole range of new products,
Earth
Pink Strata
Geen Mosaico
Airpockets
Oils ,  ect ect.
Which ca be found at www.mdinaglass.net , but what realy suprised me was how there was no mention of Michael Harris in the company history  ??? :-\

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:16:07 AM »
Cheers for that Sue, I'm aware of the modern production of this but I've found sketchy reference to an earlier production dating from the 1970's in a book - since this has the old style paper label (all the modern Mdina I've had so far had transparent plastic labels) I'm thinking this is the earlier stuff but I just don't know for sure.  Weird that they don't mention MH on the site though I agree  ???

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
HMMM :-\ could be an early colourway and they just revived it, will try another track :-\

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
You are sweet Sue - but don't go to too much trouble on my behalf (you are fast gaining the unofficial title of GMB Super Sleuth though!)

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:36:34 AM »
HA told you i'm just nosey  :P but semi retired now because of the back (facet joint disease) so a bit of writing, drawing, and research, and of course collecting!! but i enjoy the research as we are all still learning, it just facinates me, so i dont mind.

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:22:01 PM »
Hi All,
Yep, this is from the range known as 'Earthtones', which was released after Michael Harris left Mdina. Interestingly, as some of you may know, when he arrived at IOW he -- independently -- released the very similar looking 'Tortoiseshell' range at roughly the same time. This just goes to show again that quite often it isn't always a case of one person copying another over a design - it just happens as it represents the 'look' of the time, is the logical next step etc or whatever - sometimes people just have the same ideas as another, with neither knowing about the other.
Anyhow. Mdina Earthtones is slightly different in terms of colour and the form of the random pattern. Compare them and you will see what I mean - Earthones  tends to be more swirly, for example, due to the way it is made compared to IOW T'shell. Earthtones is also generally blown much thicker than IOW T'shell, giving pieces more weight. Earthtone pieces have flat bases and IOW T'Shell pieces are typically marked with a concave 'coachbolt' (rare) pontil mark or a 'flame' (more common) pontil mark.
Earthones was produced for quite some time from the mid-1970s and may even be still in production, along with all the new ranges released by Mdina. It's not hard to find, but this is a nicely proportioned and coloured piece. Paper labels are earlier than clear plastic, which I'd think date from the 1990 onwards. I don't have an exact date as it's a little beyond my scope time-wise.
I don't know why Michael Harris is not mentioned on the Mdina Glass website. I have my thoughts and opinions ( :-X ) , and I guess that Mr Said has the right to decide what to say on his own website, but I think he should be mentioned. History can't be changed whatever (huge) credit one deserves for successfully running an independent art glass studio in difficult times over a number of decades.
Hope this helps,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »
Thanks a lot for that Mark - extremely informative and also good to hear I was on the right path.  With the help of this forum, your book and others I'm getting a real feel for Mdina and other Maltese glass (even if I can't always remember exactly which book I read something in DOH it must be my age)  :-\

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
Facinating Mark, and you are right Michael Harris should be mentioned on the Mdina site, as you say you can't change history, and he will always get his credit here, i should think that whenever anyone sell's a piece of Mdina, they should mention Michael Harris.
                                                                                                                                                                         Sue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand