No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unidentified vase on Pamela's site - ID = Carl Stoltzle, Hermannshutte  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Does anyone know any more about the identity of this vase on Pamela's site?

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/03729.html

(Let me know if the link doesn't work).

It has been identified as Bagley in a book for which I am doing an errata list (which will be checked by a friend in Adelaide before making public). It's not Bagley though, is it?

Thanks!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unidentified vase on Pamela's (wonderful) site
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
No it's not Bagley and its not so well made as theirs either. I have one too but I've never seen an ID for it. They also come in two sizes

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »
I don't think it's Bagley either - I had (before hubby broke it) a frosted Bagley vase which was similar in shape to this one but quite obviously very different if they were put side by side - I'm thinking that's where the confusion has arisen.  I'll try and find a photo of my Bagley vase so you can see what I mean - the shape is close but not close enough and the finish is completely different.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:43:36 PM »
There's a Bagley's one on the Great Glass website - follow this link then scroll down on the 26th row (I think) listed under 'others' is a frosted one like the one I had with the number '6632' under it for ID purposes.  You'll see what I mean about them being similar but not at all the same - the plinth/foot is a good example of that.

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib8a.htm

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:27:52 PM »
That's the Bagley Grantham vase and is nothing like the vase in question, but yes you can see where the confusion has arisen. The vase in question is also a completely different shade of green. Bagley green, with or without uranium, has almost a blue tinge to it. My thoughts are Czech but who knows...

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
I don't know either, but I'm certian that I saw one of these in bright green on a car boot somewhere. It was the same colour as Uranium glass. The feet looked similar to some Sowerby items but not the same I think.  :(

So, just out of curiosity, are there any other colours?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:58:44 PM »
Thank you, Cathy and all! I guess I should try a topview for further investigation and I should measure it - it's quite small btw. It's uranium glass. I join you, Christine, could be Czeck also in design
 ::)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 09:13:40 PM »
Hi

I have always been told czech, I have a similar pair in a Jadite colour and have wondered if they were a slightly later date as they are not made of uranium glass

roy

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, folks! I suspect the authors mistook it for the Grantham shape.

The book is the same one that says that 'amberina' is made by striking the hot glass before it cools, and 'vaseline' glass 'seems to be applied to any glass that has a smooth and greasy look or feel'!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
Mine is quite large at about 20 cm tall and yes they do come in other colours, can't be sure off the top of my head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand