No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Elme or Murano - can you help?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Elme or Murano - can you help?
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
OK the situation is I've got this vase (links to photographs below) - I've got it on my website as being by Elme Glasbruk - this identification was reached by looking at a similar vases listed on eBay by reliable sources (one of which was Vidfletch) and from various postings on here who all indicated that these types of vases were by Elme.  Now the problem is I have a customer who is a major glass collector - if you've ever been outbid on eBay for Holmegaard Carnaby glass (as I have in the past) it's almost certainly by this person who has an impressive collection that would rival most museums - his knowledge also is second to none.  He wants this particular vase and has bought several smaller versions of this on eBay all attributed as Murano and he is fairly certain I'm wrong in my Elme attribution and that these are in fact Murano.  I'll be delivering the vase to him (he lives locally to me) in a week or so and he's offered to show me both his Elme and Murano collections so I can see for myself.  I've told him I'd be delighted and that in the meantime I would post this vase up on here and see what everyone says ... Any help at all in nailing this would be very much appreciated. TIA

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_3264.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_3268.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_3271.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_3280.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Elme or Murano - can you help?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
Hi Pip, if you go to www.fyndmarknad.com they have an Elme Glasbruk similar colour with a lable, it is a dutch site so maybe some one can help with translation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
The site is in Swedish and the label is pretty convincing - good sleuthing, Dexter!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »
Well done Sue - you're a star when it comes to sniffing things out! It's very similar to mine I think - the other ones I've seen attributed to Elme were like this one but also with a white neck like mine. 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
I have a lamp-base in an identical pattern (to the one one the site) with a 'Made in Sweden' label and have always considered it to be Elme.

The finish and colouring of it is spot-on for your vase, Pip, so I'm convinced you're correct.

I think I know which buyer you mean - he's outbid me, and bought from me in the past. I didn't realise he was a collector, though - with the amount he bought, I always assumed high-end dealer.  :o

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
Cheers for that Nic - much appreciated.  I'm going to give a link to this topic to my buyer so won't identify him on here but with your interest in Holmegaard I'm sure your paths would definitely have crossed at some point.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
Hi.  I've had this one for ages and currently it is packed away. Often wondered what it is.  Think it is about 9 - 10 inches tall from memory, and it looks similar to yours Pip - what does everyone think?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/emmismith/Miscellaneous/OrangeFlamevase.jpg

Hope this photo link works. 

Emmi

PS The colours are also very similar to the Elme Peacock Range -I have a couple of these.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:40:02 PM »
Let's not forget Empoli, yes/no?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:34:56 PM »
Well this is the point TC - these have been ID'd on here and on other reputable sites  as Elme - my customer is saying Italian (whether specifically Murano or Empoli is irrelevant) and I'm suggesting that the original Elme, Swedish ID is correct.  Emmi's looks too similar to mine to not be by the same maker - have you compared the feel and finish of this one to the 'peacock' vase you have Emmi?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »
It's probably just be the way that the colours are coming out on my monitor, but Emmi's vase looks very different to yours, Pip, in that respect. Yours is a lot more vibrant and closer to the Elme pieces I have / have had.  ???

Saying that, just going on the peacock vases/lamps alone, Elme were quite variable in the boldness of design and colouring of their decoration - ranging from 'wow' to wishy-washy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand