No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Amber Vase  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Ambergreen

• Members
Help with Amber Vase
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:08:02 AM »
I would appreciate any help identifying the following Amber glass vase please

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4739

I'm only new to collecting so I don't know the appropriate terminology to describe it. It could be pressed glass and it appears to have flowers on it  ::) ;D.  I'm in Australia so it is most likely English/European and even possibly Australian, though I think this is unlikely.

Cheers,
Lyn
Cheers,
Lyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Decolucretia

• Members
Re: Help with Amber Vase
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:34:08 AM »
Hi Lyn from a fellow Aussie.  I'm 99.9% sure that your bowl is indeed Australian.  It was made by The Crown Crystal Glass Co. Ltd and can be seen in the 1927 catalogue.  It is pressed glass and is from the 66 series #6615.  The bowl can also be seen in green on this site http://www.ozcrowncrystal.com/period1.html.   (According to the site it is called Poinsettia Oval Boat-shaped Salad).  Aside from having fabulous photos to ooh and aah at, it is an excellent place to start building knowledge about Crown Crystal glassware.  There are also books by Ken Arnold on Australian Glass that make great reference guides.
Cheers,
Michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ambergreen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:44:31 AM »
Well, would you look at that! :D Shows how much I don't know - it IS Australian, he he.  Definitely the same piece. In fact my pic looks like I've just gone in and changed the colour :D Thanks SOOO much for your help.  Oooh, better go dig out those other pieces I'm not sure about :D
Cheers,
Lyn

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 06:05:42 AM »
Spot on, Michelle. It's 100% Australian, and in fact it's fairly uncommon in amber. That doesn't reflect on price, however, as amber is not well liked.

I'm planning a revamp of the website soon to get rid of the extraneous 'gushing' :) and add in some original research.

Offline Ambergreen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:02:50 AM »
Thanks Cathy. I have quite a few pieces of green and amber glass as I am still in that 'if it's green or amber buy it' stage ;D. I guess I'll get to the point where I will start focusing on some more elaborate pieces, once I know what I'm looking for. However, I was wondering how I would recognise Crown Glass amongst other manufacturers? Or is it purely the patterns that you come to recognise? It's just that I'm looking at my collection now and I don't know if you'd all appreciate the flood of help threads that I'd be posting to learn about these pieces ;)

Cheers,
Lyn
Cheers,
Lyn

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:21 AM »
Hi Lyn,

It's basically just by learning the patterns. Oh gosh, it's sticky business because even with the patterns which were their own, they were heavily influenced by overseas patterns. They probably also included imported glassware in their catalogues and I believe they may have acquired certain moulds - but no absolute proof on that as yet.

Welcome, by the way! It's good to have a few more Australians online!

Offline Ambergreen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:28:59 AM »
:D Thanks for the welcome Cathy. I look forward to chatting with everyone here. Must get busy and perhaps post a few more help threads. Hope I don't wear out my welcome :o

Cheers,
Lyn
Cheers,
Lyn

Offline Decolucretia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
Spot on, Michelle. It's 100% Australian, and in fact it's fairly uncommon in amber. That doesn't reflect on price, however, as amber is not well liked.

I'm planning a revamp of the website soon to get rid of the extraneous 'gushing' :) and add in some original research.

Hi Cathy - I've seen your posts but didn't twig that you are 'the' Cathy B (sounding like a true glass fan here!)  I found your site a while ago and really enjoyed it - nice to have an Australian site to refer to.  Favourite part was definately the 'controversies' page.  Didn't find it 'gushy' at all but look forward to more info / pictures, etc.

Offline Ambergreen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
Oooh yes, more pictures please ;D It would be great to get a gallery up and running of Crown patterns.

Cheers,
Lyn
Cheers,
Lyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand