No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two More Pieces of Mdina(?), Unsigned  (Read 5816 times)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Two More Pieces of Mdina(?), Unsigned
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Hi,

I'd like to check whether or not these two pieces are Mdina. Both are Mdina colouring, but unsigned.

Firstly, this little sculpture:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4753
It appears to be similar to those illustrated in Mark Hill's book, pages 34-35, although it sounds like one of the later ones (it's just 10.5cm high).
See also http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230081059949 for a signed one.

Secondly, this textured vase, slightly lop-sided. The base is ground but not enough to remove the broken pontil mark.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4750
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4751
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4752
It looks a similar shape to the mainly brown one illustrated on page 53 of Mark's book, but just c. 18.5cm high.

The blues in both are more 'turquoise' than the photos show.

Many thanks in advance,
Robbo
robbo

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Two More Pieces of Mdina(?), Unsigned
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:23:17 PM »
I'd say yes for the first. The colouring, as you say, is very Mdina and I have one similar 'end-of-day' piece myself.

The second I'm unsure about, but Sue M should be able to confirm.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:49:16 PM »
Thanks David,

The sculpture is more greeny turquoise than the photo suggests but still like Mdina.
My camera is useless when it comes to some blues :-\

Robbo
robbo

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »
I'd say yes to both of them but the second one is curious in being wonky and having the unfinished base - I wonder if it could have been a second?  Anyway, as David says hopefully the Mdina maestro Sue will take a peek.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:32:40 PM »
I suspect the reason why the base on the second one isn't ground down any more is because there wasn't enough of the clear casing to do so. Mark Hill does say that not all Mdina was signed, especially the earlier pieces but I don't know if that applies throughout the 1970s (he dates the similar brown vase I mentioned to the 70s but post Michael Harris). Stange about the slightly 'boomerang' shape though.

Robbo
robbo

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
My understanding of the signatures is that virtually nothing was signed during Michael Harris' time there (other than the very few pieces he signed with his name) because he didn't allow it and that the pieces with the word 'Mdina' to the bases are post MH.  However, I've not yet seen an early or late piece with the unfinished base that yours has - I have a very early piece with the polished pontil (unsigned), I have several early pieces with the ground flat bases (also unsigned) and I have some later pieces with the ground flat base (signed) but not one with the broken off pontil which is why I suggested it might be a second.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
I also wonder how many later pieces weren't signed  ???

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
My understanding of the signatures is that virtually nothing was signed during Michael Harris' time there (other than the very few pieces he signed with his name) because he didn't allow it and that the pieces with the word 'Mdina' to the bases are post MH.  However, I've not yet seen an early or late piece with the unfinished base that yours has - I have a very early piece with the polished pontil (unsigned), I have several early pieces with the ground flat bases (also unsigned) and I have some later pieces with the ground flat base (signed) but not one with the broken off pontil which is why I suggested it might be a second.

However just because it isn't signed doesn't mean that Michael Harris had anything to do with the design, as Ron at Artius kindly reminded me.   8)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »
However just because it isn't signed doesn't mean that Michael Harris had anything to do with the design, as Ron at Artius kindly reminded me.   8)

Did I say it did  ???  Quite the contrary in fact if you read my statement again.  Don't start Lynne  ;D

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 06:48:43 PM »

Did I say it did  ???  Quite the contrary in fact if you read my statement again.  Don't start Lynne  ;D

Who, MOI!   ;D

Nothing against anything you said, more against myself, and just reiterating the fact.  I had always assumed that if it was early, then it was designed by Michael Harris, but I found out I was wrong.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand