No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Glass Zoo  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The Glass Zoo
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »
Following lots of hair-pulling and long nights the inhabitants of the Glass Zoo are ready to be viewed :)

Despite the slightly shop-like appearance nothing is for sale apart from subscriptions! Yes, this new site is not free  :( , I cannot afford to finance any more free sites but I still have huge amounts of information to share. The non-profit principle subscription is set as low as practical €5 euros per year (about $7, £3.50) payable two years at a time. It can be paid for by Paypal for instant access, Euro bank transfer details provided, or cash in the post ($14 is acceptable from the USA).

Currently some 230 animals and figures have been installed of which only about 50 are unidentified. I still have a further 100 to add in. In addition to continued contributions from collectors I will be approaching existing makers and artists to incorporate their existing catalogues. All types of glass animals/figures, lampwork, blown, pressed, cast, carved, will be included. At the moment lampwork/flamework are in the majority as are those from Pirelli, many of the unknowns are possibly Pirelli too.

Each figure has at least one image and some have several examples as well as different views, nearly all of the images can be enlarged up to 600 pixels on their longest side. Larger versions of most images are available and arrangements can be made with their copyright owners for inclusion in books etc.

So do come along, it is cheaper than a single visit to the local Zoo and none of the animals will be leaving... only more added. They are organised by thematic categories and by country/company making it easy to find your way around. In addition to more figure images, articles and book reviews would also be welcomed.

The primitive surroundings will be improved over time, particularly the feedback system - you can vote for your favourite figure  ;) but the intention is to provide a means to suggest identification or raise any questions. When time is available that will be modified, but adding more figures has a higher priority.

How it develops from here is up to you, I will keep adding images and try and source some articles.

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: The Glass Zoo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »
Well done Frank! A great venture that should benefit us all 8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »
Thank you David.

I should say, I have no objections to members sharing identifications on the GMB as they would with information from any other book. Not everyone who need an animal identified is interested in them in general :)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:37:56 AM »
Hi Frank,

I'm in!  What a great idea, cheaper than a book and one you can't get bored with as it will change over time.  I just have a couple of questions.....

Do we still post our animals on GMB if we have access to the Zoo?

And would you consider a section for bottoms? (I'm thinking where a manufacturer had something distinctive about their bases, rather than seeing the back-end of a glass horse!).

I've already been able to identify 2 dogs I saw today in a charity shop as 99% Pirelli.  It's not that I'm going to rush out buying animals, just nice to be able to know a little more about things I might see.

Thank you - I hope it's a great success.

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
Hi Cat,

Thanks for joining. Yes please do post questions about animals on the GMB, the GMB and the Zoo are separate entities, people that have access will be able to help those who do not. Just as if they had a book. Please treat it in the same way.

Obviously the zoo also needs contributions and one day it can be used to answer many questions... I am glad that it is already achieving that.

Bottom section is a great idea, I already include them when submitted with phot sets, but yes sections of bottoms as an ID tool would be a great idea.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »
Just passed the 300 inhabitants mark, with lots of additional images added to many designs. Over 1,000 images already. Pirelli still has the lion's share, though I have yet to find a Pirelli lion ::), with 84 identified examples and another 40 likely. Most of the 100 still queued to be added are non-Pirelli.

Obviously a drop in the ocean for the subject matter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand