No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual White Glass Fish Base - ID = Atterbury & Co of Pittsburgh USA  (Read 4217 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Hi

I have had this unusual white glass fish base for a while,just trying to se if anybody can ID it, it is only the base would have had a lid of some type, the detail on the underside is good, inside the base it reads PAT. JUNE 4' 72 , I assume its 1872 , I have been told by one collector they think it could be American , 11inches in length

regards roy mhgcgolfclub

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Unusual White Glass Fish Base
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:14:01 AM »
Hello:

It is indeed American - made by Atterbury & Co of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is shown in their 1874 catalog.  It is a pickle dish and did not have a lid.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:36:23 AM »
Hi Sid

Thanks very much for the information, surprised there was no lid but glad to br wrong about that, I had been told by a collector the PAT. would have more than likely made it American
thanks for your help

regards roy

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:00:59 AM »
I'm glad Roy's had an identification - thanks Sid.  :)  My first thought on seeing this dish was how odd it was.  As the detailed moulding is underneath, it's never seen...what a shame!  I suppose it's because of the manufacturing process though.  :-\

Interesting piece of glass though Roy.   :D

I am not a man

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
That's what exactly I thought, Max, but I guess if it were moulded on the inside it would get covered with food. Very odd - it really is screaming out for a lid. That said, I love the detail! Thanks for posting it, Roy.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the help and comments after being told the maker I did find this on ebay and it does show the pickle dish with a lid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270084307444&rd=1&rd=1
mhgcgolfclub

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

Hi,
I am not really sure where you see the lid ???

I have just studie the close up photos and it shows exactly what you have. He does mention chips to the lip
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »
Hi

When I hold the base as the 1st picture on the one listed on ebay which are not that clear ,there looks to be a lid, although it may just be me  :-\

roy

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 09:00:12 PM »

Hi Roy,

I now see what you mean.  :-\
I have emailed the seller to ask if it is a two piece item, with a lid.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »

Hi Roy,
The seller was very kind and replied very quickly.  ;D
His item does not have a lid either.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand