No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Museum Weights  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness Museum Weights
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Caithness Museum Weights
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:20 PM »
Wrong Frank !

This was never in the Caithness Museum as it was not a Caithness edition - it was a commission piece and was nothing to do with the film  festival. It was to commemorate a conference some big firm held in Cannes.

Two or three of the Caithness museum pieces have already appeared on ebay - which were not in the Mellors & Kirk auction which is interesting as they must have been sold privately ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:44:43 PM »
Correct - a few Caithness "museum" weights auctions (from the same seller) have already ended.

Now for the event - the seller (petsemosamoyed) states in the description "... made in 1985, this stunning paperweight is called Cannes March and was commissioned by IBM." - which agrees with daveweight's statement.

Whether the weight was in the museum or not, I cannot tell - but a weight with this name (though without image) was sold at the Mellors&Kirk auction (one of two in lot 756) - where petsemosamoyed seems to have bought a fair number - 6 already appeared on ebay.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:43:01 PM »
Sweetbriar has bought about 100 weights at the auction - and is beginning to put them on sale:
http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/weightlist.php?maker=Caithness%20Museum%20Pieces

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Sadly the links above have long-since expired . Here is a possible Caithness paperweight for the previous year, 1984. Also called Cannes March . Limited to 1500 . I have no idea if it was for IBM....certainly not the film festival which was in May .  Approx. 3 inches in height.

Mike

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
As mentioned above - a weight of this name was sold at the museum auction (lot 756), though without image in the online catalogue.
At the time I had copied the details of the ebay auction (for my personal use): images are a bit poor - but this is definitely the same weight as Mike's.

Now - at first sight - there are some discrepancies:

Mike's weight is clearly marked 1984 - but seller on ebay mentions 1985 as date of manufacture - but further down gives the inscription as "1/500 Cannes March 1984". So it seems plausible that the 1985 is a typo - the weight may have actually been issued in 1984.

But then we have a discrepancy with the edition size: 500 (stated on ebay) versus 1500 (marked on Mike's). Now - this could be another typo - or the leading 1 was too faint on the ebay weight to be clearly seen. So to me it seems plausible that the actual edition size was 1500.

At least I can confirm IBM: though the image of the certificate is unsharp, it can be read "Cannes March IBM". The designer line is not filled in. It further states "This is to certify that this piece is number 1 of an edition of   ." - i.e. no edition size given: could it be that first an edition size of 500 was planned - but then IBM decided to order 1500 after all?

So there are a few open questions - but my final question is simple to answer >:D: Mike - may we use your images for the Caithness catalogue on ScotlandsGlass?

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Just had another look at the museum auction web site - lot 756 states "... engraved CANNES MARCH 1984, No1/1500 ...".
So the question of the edition size seems to be solved: 500 was a typo.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks  Wuff , that's great !

I'm very pleased to have been of some help for once !  :D ...and would be delighted if you can use the images on your wonderful, on-line research facility  :rah:

Ta , Mike.

Mike

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
Thank you very much, Mike - this is appreciated!

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
Cheers Wolf, the pleasure is all mine ! ....thanks to the search fields here on GMB and all your help  :smg: 
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand