No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco to 50s - Earlier and Victorian Pressed Glass  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Art Deco to 50s - Earlier and Victorian Pressed Glass
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:24:48 PM »
Hello Guys.  I'm still trying to learn to identify the older pieces as opposed to 30s stuff though to 50s. Looking at other people's ebay listings I get the distinct impression that a few pieces I've sold as Art Deco, particularly cake stands, have in fact been older. I do look out for features such as an irregular base that can indicate a piece has been mould blown rather than pressed but other than that I'm a bit in the dark. I've picked these pieces out as being older by feel more than any technical know how. If some kind expert has the time and inclination to have a look I'd like to know if I'm on the right lines.Sorry about poor photo quality and a bit of a title mix up. Yours in grateful anticiapation etc, grovel......
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4822
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4821

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4820

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4824
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4823

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4818

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Art Deco to 50s - Earlier and Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:27:12 PM »
Hi Gill.

So as not to spoil your acquisition of knowledge, at least one of the four items you have pictured is likely to carry some sort of moulded mark, although moulds wear with use, so it or they could be quite faint.   You should look for one or more registered numbers, an earlier, pre-1884 registration lozenge, and company trademarks.    Every surface should be thoroughly checked including inside, outside, handles, around the ends of handles, and hidden in the ornamental pattern.   Sometimes you can't see them, but you can feel them with your fingertips.    Don't stop when you find one;  there could be more than one.

BTW all four pieces are pressed glass;  but I am not sure whether they are all English.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »
Thankyou very much indeed Bernard! I'm going off to have a good look and a feel now and I'll report back, cheers! Gill :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »
Nice basket.

I missed purchasing one of those quite a while back, shame.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:11:28 PM »
Gill, the milk jug (final pic) appears to be a Rindskopf (Czech) item - made c. 1930s. The pattern is known to Carnival collectors as Diamond Ovals.

Iittala (Finland) made a similar piece but I feel yours is actually Rindskopf (the handle is not quite the same as the Iittala version).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
thankyou for taking time to respond Glen, I was obviously not correct in my feeling about this maybe being older, I will get the hang of it :(, lovely to have an id though and it is a pretty jug.

Bernard, I went all over the pieces last night with a jewellers glass till I was goggle eyed and have still found nothing! Very interesting nevertheless. The basket has some strange areas of crystals underneath close to the ridge that runs round the age, they look just like sugar under the glass, I suppose this should tell me something. The tazza both have some quite large air bubbles and the bases of these and the jug have quite a grainy effect, thought this might be some sort of clue until I read the 1930s ID on the jug! Tazza 1 has some rippling effect towards the centre, is this what is referred to as striation? Should this tell me something too?  Anything I thought I'd found in the way of marks just turned out to be little tiny bits of surface wear but I'll keep trying. Interesting point about not stopping looking once you find a mark. Had a bit of Bagley the other day which had ,"MADE IN ENGLAND" stamp then suddently noticed it had it twice. Many thanks for your time, Gill
Tigerchips!, thanks for your response, it is pretty, any clues from you? :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:23:59 PM »
Tigerchips!, thanks for your response, it is pretty, any clues from you? :)

I like the handle too.  :-X
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »
Gill — I'm glad you had a good look at them.

The only one of the four I can positively Id. is the cake basket.   This is by Greener.   Early examples carry the first Greener trademark, a demi-rampant lion rising from a twisted rope, facing left, and carrying a star in its right (upper) paw.   According to Thompson, this TM was in use c.1875–85.   Most examples I have seen do carry this TM, although it can be very worn indeed, and you have to use a lot of detective work to find it!

The handle is a close match to Greener's registered design No. 96775 or 96776 of 27 March 1888, so replacement moulds could carry this number, typically located around one end of the handle, but I've never seen one on this particular pattern.   Nevertheless it's a possibility, so I always have a look.

Around this time Greener had a policy of registering parts of designs, and then combining them.   Some of their baskets carry as many as three different registration numbers, all well hidden.   Many don't find any;  some find one and then stop looking.    These are great fun and interesting — quite a small collection shows the different ways they combined designs.

One day, when one of us wins the lottery, we will hire somewhere huge and cheap like Ryton for the day and get everyone to bring along their collections of pressed glass, so that we can get them together and identify marks, replacement moulds and other variations.  Glen will count berries and check Carnival glass, Chris & Val cloud glass and Davidson, Richard van Riel Bagley variations, &c.   I have to admit that I once had three slightly different Bagley fish plates in stock, but that was before I had a camera, so I failed to take the rare opportunity to record them.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
Thanks Bernard, Great to have an ID on one and know that my "feeling" was right on one piece at least, still looking for marks on this and the tazzas.Saw it on anaother website once I knew what I was looking for.  Got another little piece in the same lot with  REG.NO. 700547 stamped into it. Can't find this one on the Glass Notes site but if this is early I suppose it could give a clue as well to the dates of the other bits ( jug came from somewhere else) best wishes, Gill

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
Discussion about the jug with RD No. 700547 split off to new topic here: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68513.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand