No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese signature cane/factory mark?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Chinese signature cane/factory mark?
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:03:55 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed but I searched and couldnt find any info on it.
Have a look at this weight:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4829
A typical chinese weight complete with KevH's leaves (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7796.msg65741.html#msg65741) The glass is clear and may have a slight green tinge to it (but the green can be from the leaves).  The base has been smoothed and polished but is still slightly opauge (sp??) and there is no pointil mark.

But have a look at this cane from the weight:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4828
This little flower is a single cane. The leaves are the same design as the larger ones.  The flower has a yellow centre and six or seven small red petals.

Now have a look at this ebay item:280074939385 (it went expensively I thought)
Same little flower at 9'o clock. 

Can it then be assumed that this factory started marking their work, or did they stop marking their work?  Have a look at this one: http://www.wilhelmsen.no/glass/paperweight.chinese01.JPG (link culled from http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8048.msg68186.html#msg68186).  The same factory I think.  KevH's leaves are there, the 3 stars cane (reminds of the chinese flag stars), but this time no flower cane.  Also the ashtray in the original link where KevH mentioned the leaves, does not have a flower cane (but that should not be a surprise).

As a matter of intrest I have physically seen another weight similar to my one that also had the flower cane, sadly I thought 50 euro to much to pay for it! The fact that I know of at least 3 weights means they cannot be very rare.
So anyone have any other weight with this little flower in it or any other info?
Kind regards,
KarelM
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: Chinese signature cane/factory mark?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »
i've had quite a few of them with the flower canes and the bird canes
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
Obviously this is not earth shattering news to anybody ;D and only I have been in the dark!
Anybody care to post a pic of the bird cane?
Also does anyone know when these started apearing on the market and if they still do?
Thanks
Karel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
I am not aware of any mention of a Chinese weight having a signature cane but can see no reason why not, even if not officially announced. The way that particular flower is used could lead to such as conclusion so is it used on its own like that in many other weights?

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
As I said above have a look at this item on e bay: 280074939385 (sorry the whole link thing is not working for me at the moment!!)  I have also held another weight in my hands with the same flower cane in it.
Ray has had a couple of them pass his hands....
Another reason...not mentioned in my first post...that I believe that this is a signature cane or at least a factory mark:
We as westerners do not have a clue what the east sees as estetically pleasing. I am sure if there are some chinese people on this board they will agree that this "signature cane" is something that has been placed in the weight only to please the western market.
But Yes from what I have been able to observe this cane is being used as a signature or as a mark.
The names escape me now  ;D ;D ;D but I know there are 2 people on here that may be able to help us, the one is intrested in signature canes and the other in chinese weights....
Karel

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 05:35:16 PM »
I see no reason to believe that the Rose cane is a true signature cane. Just the same as those Green Leaves are not a real signature cane.

However, as with my comment some time ago about those particular Leaves being "as good as a signature cane" (or words to that effect), that Rose cane can be treated in the same way ... if either are seen in an otherwise unidentified weight, then it is a fair bet that the weight is Chinese. But that's all it means.

The Chinese have actually used a genuine "signature cane". In the 1930s period, many weights were made with "CHINA" or "MADE IN CHINA" set as letters in canes. But even then, no individal factory or worker was identified - just China.
KevinH

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
I see no reason to believe that the Rose cane is a true signature cane. Just the same as those Green Leaves are not a real signature cane.
I beg to differ.
The rose/flower cane has only been used as a single cane in the three examples I have seen.  The other canes that I have seen (leaves and the chinese star; and I know of a blue cane and a pinkish one being used in conjunction with the other two but have not physically seen them) have always been used in abundance.  This is a single cane inserted in particular weights, as we know there are several other weights using the same canes without this one being present I believe it to a signature/mark.

Having left this post for 30 minutes without sending it another thought has come up: We know that in the past many glassmakers have shared canes and it could be possible that some canes are being shared in China whilst this cane is only being used by a specific manufacturer.
It would also be intresting to see a pic of the "bird"cane and to know if it is being used as a single or multipile cane in weights.  And of course the whole theory will be blown if somebody has a weight wih this cane (either bird or flower)being used multiple times!!!
Karel

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 03:06:29 AM »
The bird canes when they do appear come in pairs. I have always seen them two to a weight and prominently in the center area. The rose cane when it is used, is only used once and is always off to the extreme side - so much so that it is often difficult to photograph. I am inclined to believe that it is a maker's mark of some sort, but hasten to add that it would be impossible to prove.

The 1930's weights were generally done by cottage artisans and a factory representative would travel around to deliver cane supplies and pick up the finished pieces. It could very well be a company mark or an individual artisan's mark.

The "China" and "Made in China" canes infrequently found are more designed to comply with the country-of-origin markings required by USA import laws.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
Could somebody post a pic of the bird cane please?
Thanks
Karel

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »
There has never been a signature cane in a Chinese paperweight unless it was a copy of someone else's signature cane, which is not an improbability considering China-made imitations.

As noted, when the word "China" or "Made in China" appears - often lettering on a white rectangle - it's about import restrictions. Often, companies make paperweights for specific markets. For example, virtually all of D'Albret's sulphides were shipped to the U.S. market.

Not to roil the waters, stir the pot, or bring up the you-know-what again, but there is limited scholarship on Chinese paperweights, as they are assembly-line products, very easy to identify, and quite ubiquitous.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand