No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese signature cane/factory mark?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: Chinese signature cane/factory mark?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 04:43:05 PM »
Wrightoutlook,
I fully agree with everything you say!
BUT, (you knew there was one coming >:D) and this is a big but, that is the whole point of posting this message.
What I am postulating (maybe that is to a strong word) is that this may indeed be a signature cane of a factory, or although highly unlikely an individual, and that would then at least give us some reference point on Chinese weights.
The theory is shaky, I admit, but I believe that there is enough out there that at least as a theory this is possible.  As I have never seen the bird cane I cannot really comment on it but, as addg, and myself, have said on this post the flower/rose cane is used on the outer edge as a single cane.  Even to a westerner like me who is not atuned to the eastern astetics (sp?) it is clear that this cane does not fit into the rest of the picture of the weight. (As an aside, who in their right mind would design a lovely weight with the most amazing detailed canes, that you cannot apreciate without a magnifying glass, and then put an amaturish cane depicting the letter "P" slap bang in the middle of it!  Simply somebody that wants to have their work attributed to them!)
Over and above the cane not fitting in with the pattern it is either used only on specific weights OR it was only used after or before a certain point in time.  I am hoping that the time issue is correct as that would also give us some kind of refrence to date.
I would love to research this a bit further, so if anybody has a weight with the flower or the bird cane please send me photo's.  If possible 3 views; total weight, the base and obviously the cane; please also send me the weight (I mean how much it weighs, although I'll pay postage if you dont want it ;D) and an idea of the size. The adress is " karelm at myrealbox fullstop com " (sorry for the riddle but I get enough spam as it is!)
Thanks
karelm
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 06:06:53 PM »
As an aside, who in their right mind would design a lovely weight with the most amazing detailed canes, that you cannot apreciate without a magnifying glass, and then put an amaturish cane depicting the letter "P" slap bang in the middle of it!

Oooh I know that one, Perthshire  :clap:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 06:41:32 PM »
Well done Frank ;D ;D ;D
Seriously if they (P) wanted to do it I recon the Chinese may want to do it too!
And while we on the subject Frank, if I have a weight signed by PMCD but the canes are reversed ie. the PMCD are a mirror image, how rare is that?
I still need photo's please folks!
Karel

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
Ray, I am right in believing that's a Rose cane at the top? Any chance of a photo of that just to be sure?
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »
cheers Ray

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
I believe it is a rose cane...and another was sold earlier today that looks very similar.  Item: 220078813441 

It had to be part of the same run.  I recon that blows the bird cane as a signature, it may still be a possibility to use the "double bird" as an identification for this factory (if we ever get to the bottom of this) but i recon it is no more than a normal cane.  There is still hope for the flower cane as a signature.  Thanks for the info RAY. 
Cheers,
karelm
Karel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 12:33:04 PM »
Quirkycool is Anne EB, a GMB resident, perhaps if you're nice to her she might take another photo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand