No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice vases  (Read 9336 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Re: Skrdlovice vases
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
Andy, the bottom centre one is as follows; 10 inches high, 9 inches long, 4 inches deep and weighs in at a whopping 18 pounds. It does not get moved often. Terry

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »
Terry,
(without meaning to be sexist!)
This is Mans glass! >:D
Andy

(Ladies feel free to disagree)
 ;)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Sklounion

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 06:26:49 AM »
The vase is Burian, 7414, 1974. the semi-circular dish by Hora 8502, 1985.
Image of the ash-tray is too indistinct to comment.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »
Hi Marcus,
some more photos of the ashtray, one of my favourite pieces, so would be nice to put
a name to it. It has a skrdlovice feel to it, deep amber sommerso effect, green centre,
cased in clear, with abstract cross in each side.
Maybe another Bohemian maker, my guess 80s, but i could be completely on the wrong track!
(and maybe should try new thread for it?)
Thanks again,
Andy

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4892
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4891
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4890
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4889

ps, about 3 3/4" each side, and 2 3/4" tall. 1.1kg

Sklounion

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
This is almost certainly a Pavel Hlava design for Exbor. Items like this frequently left Exbor without the acid-etched mark. This is probably from around the mid to late 1960s, judging by the colouration. If this had been predominantly red, then it would still be Hlava, but dating some twenty years later.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 03:00:23 PM »
Thanks Marcus,
would you believe it, i googled it and found this from Ivo!!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1739

Regards Andy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
Wheels within wheels :)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 07:23:35 PM »
Round,
Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel,
Never ending or beginning,
On an ever-spinning reel
 8)

Sklounion

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 05:24:11 AM »
A few words regarding Terry’s later posted items from Beranek.
I have read, though right at this moment, I cannot remember exactly where, a comment along the lines of Beranek’s early works were poor quality, and of artisanal design, Poor quality probably was a reference to smelting difficulties, and the bubbly glass so produced.

I suggest that this is inaccurate. It is quite clear that Beranek counted among his earliest collaborator/customers, members of the Functionalist design movement,
particularly those working with Bohuslav Fuchs in Brno. At that point in time, several shops selling household fitments existed, similar to Heals in the UK, among them Krásná Jizba, Druzstevni Prace, and in Brno, AKA.

Whilst table glassware designed by Fuchs and made by the Kvetna glassworks was available, the decorative items came from elsewhere. One form of decorative  glass offered by these shops was off-hand items, with bubble inclusions and can be seen in designs by Ludvika Smrčková for Krásná Jizba, made by ČMS (Českomoravské Sklárny glassworks, formerly S.Reich)  around 1940-41. In the case of Beranek, items such as Terry’s were produced for AKA, and it is clear that interaction with AKA took place shortly after opening his business. Drahomira Fuchsová had supplied designs for glass animals, from @ 1942, but arguably the vases and bowls date to 1945. Why we cannot clearly state that they may have been earlier is that some of the pattern book exists only as photocopies, and some of these are not continuous. What we do know is that designs such as these came from Vera Lichtagová, with designs for simple vase and bowl forms being used from Drahomira Fuchs.

It is difficult to put a date on when production of these items ended, but the Spanish issue of the Glassexport catalogue of work from Škrdlovice, 1954, carries no items from this product range.

Text © Marcus Newhall 2007

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »
Marcus, again thanks for the information. As an added bit of info, the larger of my two pieces carries two lables. One is an oval gold foil that says Made in Czechoslovakia. The other, although in rough condition is a shield shape and looks like a large K USA K with Art Cut Crystal below. Obviously an importer lable, but of interest. Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand