No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on glassmaker - Whittington and Percival of Manchester  (Read 4939 times)

Offline rosarae

• Members
Info on glassmaker - Whittington and Percival of Manchester
« on: February 04, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »
I recently used the victorian lozenge identification thingy and it came back with the name Whittington and Percival of Manchester.  Can anyone tell me anything about these makers please
Thanks

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Info on glassmaker - Whittington and Percival of Manchester
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:55:08 PM »
rosarae — We have a fairly full biography of the working life of Thomas Percival of Manchester thanks to research by Barbara Yates published twenty years ago.   Unfortunately Whittington and Percival doesn't obviously fit.

To help us sort out the possibilities, please would you let us have the registration date you came up with.   I would also be interested in a description (or, better, a photograph) of the piece.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:32:26 AM »
Hi

I am sure I have a heavy chunky open salt registered to Whittingham and Percival of Manchester along with its date lozenge, I will try and dig it out of the loft and post a picture later today, I believed this to be another variation of the company which started as Percival and Yates before becoming Percival and Vickers, although I could be wrong and they may well have been a completely different company
ps a picture of the item but date lozenge is very faint and cannot include a visible picture

roy mhgcgolfclub

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »
Rosarae

I have a open salt which is shown on my last post, the salt has a lozenge for 6th June 1876 which is for Whittingham and Percival of Manchester , I cannot really tell you much more

regards roy

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
'The Identification Of English Pressed Glass' (Jenny Thomson) page 113-114.

Whittingham & Percival, Flint Glass Works, Pendleton, near Manchester.

Also, it mentions Whit Lane. Pendleton, Manchester.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline rosarae

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:25 AM »
Sorry to take so long to get back .
Bernard:  The registration lozenge is like the one roy posted.  The information I got was it was registered on the 14th June 1876 by Whittington & Percival of Manchester.
The item is a glass salt (but not like Roys though the lozenge mark is the same shape)
I haven't been able to get a good clear picture.  The opening of the piece measures 2 inches and to the sides it makes it just over 3 inches.  It is clear glass and weighs about 346gms (14 oz?) Looking down on the piece it looks a cog wheel with 14 nobs/notches.  There is a 14 petal daisy/star on the bottom of the salt
There is a lot of wear around the middle of the piece but no chipping to the rim (which led on to my other question of how to distinguish victorian piano rest)
Thank you all for your input

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:59:24 AM »
A picture would be useful  :). See here for how to post one http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

Offline rosarae

• Members

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »
Thank you, it's worked a treat. Can't imagine why a salt should have wear in the middle though :-\

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
Metal spoon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia