No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need Assistance Finding Perthshire Info and Value--Book? Site?  (Read 8549 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Need Assistance Finding Perthshire Info and Value--Book? Site?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »
PP77 is an attractive weight with three rings of millefiori, including six round groups of canes in one of the rings. It has a central "p" cane and six side facets and a top facet. Base is finished with a typical Perthshire star cut. It was made only in 1985.
(Info from the book mentioned by karelm.)

But please note that no values are given in the book. Also, it covers designs only up 1997. It is hoped that a new book will give the continuation of designs from 1997 to 2002 when the company closed.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:22 PM »
KevH
THANKS !!! That isthe one!! Really pretty...
 I have tried to get one of the Perthshire books at the libraries in my area--none have any of them!! Bummer...
I do have a few to ID--for sale and my collection--so I MAY just have to buy a book.... but I fear-without any kind of number or some other identifying info on weight-it may be difficult.
Of course I have been able to ID the 3 Christmas ones--and one "regular one" that has a certificate (pp79) and one that has date cane 1985 on Top (scattered canes -inc.4 picture canes-over latticini muslin canes).--I have 6 others with only P canes --small &  med size ..
Oh-one odd pw is labled made in Scotland and has s&k cane top center...
janette

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »
I suspect that the one with the "Made in Scotland" label and "s&k" cane (which is actually "stk" and stands for St Kilda) is from a range of weights made by a maker who wishes not to be mentioned on this board.
KevinH

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »
Thanks KevH--found out who....with some googling...

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:49 AM »
Oh-can anyone help me with more info on the 1985 one mentioned above-does it have a PP #  and is it a LE or open????
and still really would like to know exactly what the PP# means...
TIA
janette

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 01:53:50 AM »
Janette, I am a bit confused.

You asked about more info for the 1985 one ... which I think is the one that I commented on as being a PP77. So yes, it does have a PP number. And the fact that it was only made in 1985 means it was a limited edition.

The PP number was simply the factory numbering system for annual limited edition and general weights (i.e. those produced across many years) and was allocated sequentially starting at PP1. There were other limited editions which were produced as an "Annual Collection" item, "Christmas" items and "Special Edition" pieces and these did not have a PP number. For the (annual) limted editons, total numbers made in each year could be from 250 to 400. For the other limted editions, numbers made were very variable with as few as 50 or as many as 1,000 being allocated, but often actual production was less than the allocated number.

Again, info is from The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights - well worth purchasing.
KevinH

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:46:02 AM »
KevH-thanks for the PP info--I really appreciate it...
No-do not be confused--the 1985 I spoke of in last post is not the P77-but a 2" one with can on top -it has scattered canes some with pictures over a muslin(cane) like ground--sorry for the confusion....
Obviously-the owner of the lots I purchased-acquired most or all of these weights in the 1980s...
janette

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 04:15:52 AM »
Ok - I see the part you mentioned:
... date cane 1985 on Top (scattered canes -inc.4 picture canes-over latticini muslin canes
This sounds like a PP11 weight, which is also listed as a limited edition, but was made from 1969 to 1992, so it's not very limited! Also, it was made in several variations. For 1983 to 1990, it had an outer row of canes (which I think made it look a much neater weight than just the usual spaced cane design). Perhaps that is what yours looks like?
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »
A lot of people do write a 1 to look like a 7, they then cross the 7 like a reversed and rotated 4 so that it is not confused with the 1.

Cataloguing PP weights for Scotland's Glass I experienced the same puzzles over their limited editions, but it was the date cane that changed and not overall design. Some PPnn editions varying in size from year to year.

The annual collections were designated A, B, C etc.

Often the designation seems the only way to distinguish the weights as they did not name the designs in their catalogues just gave each a description.

Offline Angela B

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Author & Researcher
    • glass (all) cats (all) bridge
    • New Zealand and UK
    • The Glass Encyclopedia
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »
The Glass Encyclopedia has a short page about Perthshire Paperweights at http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Perthshireglass.html
it has links to some books on paperweights including two on Perthshire paperweights - compare prices.
Lucky you finding such nice items at an auction.
Angela
Bimini Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1090649789
Pirelli Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1484086309
New Zealand Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0ND3Q
London Lampworkers book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHRQS9W
Bagley Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1544083882
Children's book about cats - https://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B08CD46QY2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum