No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where do you start??  (Read 1561 times)

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
Where do you start??
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:01 AM »
Hi

I don't want to keep bothering you all with questions about - who made this and what pattern is that so....
Where do you start when you have no idea on a peice of glass? My husband has collected a lovely set of what I think are ice plates but I have no idea about them. I would love to know at least what factory they come from and pattern they are.

Dee
Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     A Brand

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Where do you start??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:04 AM »
Get a book on the glass of the period you enjoy, browse eBay and local markets and antique fairs, go to a glass fair. Study old threads on our forums.

Then just follow your heart and your gut. The early learning is mind-boggling at first but after a few months you will be surprised at what you know.

For the ice plates post here and ask for suggested reading related to them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »
Hi Dee, don't worry about asking questions... if we didn't want to be "bothered" as you put it, we'd not be here, so ask away. :) (We often learn as part of the process as well!)  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:40:59 PM »
I agree with the looking around and learning, but if you've something already in hand and want to try a little searching yourself here's some general suggestions.

1/ Take some simple keywords and run an ebay search with and without the description include. Turn to Google and run the same searches using Google images which is a tab right above the search bar. If this turns up nothing even remotely similar then turn to the discussion boards :P

2/ If these searches turn up something even remotely similar follow the paths utilizing the searches with the new names or dates you might gleen from the earlier searches.

3/ about this time remember that  not every item listed on the internet is ID'd correctly ;) so you might end up barking up the wrong tree but don't be discouraged as you learn you'll be able to discount the wrongly id'd items faster and easier.

4/ as you go purchase books, these although they do contain mistakes here and there, will have a lot less mistakes and guide you a little better plus by browsing the books you can get a feel for the shapes, patterns and general feel of each type of glass you're interested in.

5/ If you think you find a correct ID check with us anyways :P cause as I said there are mistakes and mis id'd stuff out there and until you're more versed in the ways of the glass world it might be good to double check what you find out.

Hope this helps, bad spelling and all :D

Cat

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
Re: Where do you start?? ID suggestions please
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:58:09 AM »
Ok here is a link to a photo of the plates. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I really would like to try for myself not just let someone tell me what they are but I have looked at all the usual suspects and can't find anything.

This might sound silly but they feel like Australian, not heavy enough for English. Does that make sense?

I don't have much in the way of books as most I see are on EAPG and I don't collect it. I collect Davidson and Crown with a few ring ins just 'cause I like them. Like those cute little Czec salt dishes. Hmmm... maybe Czec... I'll have to look.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/untamed_lady2000/5IcePlates.jpg
Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     A Brand

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »
With regard to hunting the web for likely links, you can also try Angela's Glass Encyclopedia: http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/ (link at the top of every page).

Or Anne's GlassLinks: http://glasslinks.yobunny.org.uk/

A lot to wade through!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 02:25:10 AM »
Hi Dee,

Well done for gathering that collection! I've seen the pattern a few times, but am pretty certain they are _not_ Crown Crystal.  That blue especially was not a Crown blue. What colour is the one on the bottom row, far left?

The pattern may have a European origin.

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:23 AM »
You guys are a great help. I have been looking through the links one by one on Angela's Glass Encyclopedia and Anne's GlassLinks. Its going to take me a while but I am enjoying drooling over all that glass  :)

Cathy, the one you asked about is amber. It has a big crack right through the middle  :( so I'm on the lookout for another one to replace it. These are the size of side plates with the flint one being a little larger. We also have an amber the size of a saucer.

I thought Australian because I have come across so many of them. But I guess that could also mean a cheap import.
Dee

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 11:59:03 AM »
Hi Dee,

Don't think badly of piece, just because it's an import. Some European factories sold huge amounts of glorious glassware to Australia, much of which is worthy of collecting.

By the way, your pattern reminds me of the leaping deer and asian dragon ice plates that seem to turn up only in Australia. Do you know the ones? Marjorie Graham claimed (back in 1990) that they were CCG , but since no-one has ever turned up any evidence to back her up. They come in the same range of colours and similar finishes and moulding (and are similarly a little rough). Who knows: it's pure conjecture that there's any connection between the patterns whatsoever. Another mystery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand