No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SALT & PEPPER S & P GLASS SCULPTURE - (Tagliapietra design?)  (Read 1600 times)

Offline suea

• Members
SALT & PEPPER S & P GLASS SCULPTURE - (Tagliapietra design?)
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My first posting on your board! I have spent literally hours trying to track down the maker for this incredible piece of glass sculpture. And drawn a total blank. The base appears to be a solid cube of crystal, with the glass on top of that. On the base is S & P ®, followed by . Salt & Pepper.  It is 14 1/2" high, on a base 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" x 2". Has anyone come across this maker before?

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/suemoki/spg1.jpg

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/suemoki/spg2.jpg

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/suemoki/spg3.jpg

I do hope someone can help - this is a very good and skilled piece of art.

Best wishes
Sue

mod: large images converted to links

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: SALT & PEPPER S & P GLASS SCULPTURE
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
See here www.patent.gov.uk/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=M831170. I think this answers your question in part - S & P Salt and Pepper are importers. NB the application to register the trademark was refused in the UK

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »
Well found!

http://www.bambis.com.au/lite/brands.html

So a derived design seems likely, pity that they seem to want the world to respect their brand but not acknowledge the source of their inspiration.

It is of course a delightful design and a nice object to own. It is obvious that it cuts corners (or rather ends) for commercial reasons.

It would seem likely that it actually being made in a low cost production country, such as China, but where did you buy it? And if you don't mind saying, for how much?

Topic title modified.

Offline suea

• Members
Re: SALT & PEPPER S & P GLASS SCULPTURE - (Tagliapietra design?)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for your help. Although I am surprised and a little saddened by the result!! This was bought in Melbourne, from auction, and happily I paid very little, comparatively. It was just listed as art glass, with no claims to loftier heights.

I went to the Bambis site and found that they are an Aussie importing company, located not too far from where I live. Their other items are sold through the big department stores here. This piece most likely came from one of those as well.

Oh well, I am very glad that I asked, as I would hate to misrepresent this as something it isn't. We see a huge amount of Chinese glass here but it is usually so blindingly obvious - especially as I actually know some of the folk who bring it over. This piece is very different though - never seen a piece marked with anything before. Probably made elsewhere, but still in a low cost production place.

Many thanks to you all
Sue

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: SALT & PEPPER S & P GLASS SCULPTURE - (Tagliapietra design?)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »
Might be worth contacting them for more detail, when it was produced and if they are really nice they might tell you who made it too. Which would be useful to know. As it is not an exact copy they bypass the copyright issues.

I would not knock it for what it is, still a very nice piece of glass and with a factory ID even more interesting. Chinese glass might often be derivative, but then so is much else. China is a growing force and will have its day in time, identifying factories now will do a lot. Dismissing it because it may be Chinese is only going to delay their industry from stressing its own power. This change is beginning to occur in Chinese architecture, decorative arts will not be far behind that trend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand