No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Confirmation that this is a Murano Fish, please!  (Read 5662 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Confirmation that this is a Murano Fish, please!
« on: February 09, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »
I got this glass fish in a mixed lot at auction recently, and want to check whether it's Murano before listing it on eBay. It's about 32cm long.

close up of head is at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/Murano%20fish/IM000374.jpg

I'm also a bit unsure about the tail as there seems to be a rather rough 'join' along the top of it. Is this normal? There's a picture of this at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/Murano%20fish/IM000373.jpg

Many thanks in anticipation, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Confirmation that this is a Murano Fish, please!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:55:12 AM »
John — All fish are Murano, aren't they?   At least a browse around eBay would lead you to that conclusion!

This beauty was made by Nazeing Glass Works of Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, and sold wholesale by George Davidson of Gateshead, appearing alongside fishing floats made by Nazeing in Davidson's 1961 trade catalogue.   I don't know why this arrangement was made between the two companies, but I suspect that Nazeing did not then have an effective wholesale distribution network for retail fancy goods, having ceased production of cloudy glass in the 1950s, so it made sense to add them to the Davidson product range.

Nazeing fish have two distinct characteristics distinguishing them from Murano fish.   The tail is a split continuation of the body, retaining the body colours, rather than an applied tail.   The other is the applied dorsal fin, drawn up into a series of points, usually numbering between about four and seven.

They're fairly consistent in shape, but vary considerably in size.   They come in every wonderful colour and colour combination you could envisage, plus some that you wouldn't have thought of.

Note that your fish is slightly unusual as it has a coloured eye — only the second time I have seen a coloured eye.  Coloured fins are also an unusual variant.

I just love them, and, if we had the space, they would be my first choice of any type of glass for a collection.

Just one mystery remains for me.   The name of the inspired master glassmaker who made them.

Bernard C.  8)

Sources:
  • Timberlake, Geoff, Nazeing Glass Works, 2003
  • Stewart, Chris & Val, Davidson Glass — a history, 2005
  • Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
    • Addicted to glass!
      • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Bernard
    Nazeing fish have two distinct characteristics distinguishing them from Murano fish.   The tail is a split continuation of the body, retaining the body colours, rather than an applied tail.   The other is the applied dorsal fin, drawn up into a series of points, usually numbering between about four and seven.

I have a fish with similar characteristics to those you mention, Bernard, except the fins on mine are not pointed, however, there are four, the tool marks are the same as those on Johns (I am aware that the use of tools is global, so that isn't a defining fact), as is the split in the tail.
    Is it possible that my fish is also Nazeing, or am I totally wrong?

Click to enlarge.

Many thanks in advance.
    Della  :D
    If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
    Hi Bernard, and thank you so much for your very informative and interesting reply.

It's certainly an attractive and very clourful piece! :)

I've just had another good look at the fish and the applied eyes are actually clear ~ the colour which appears in them is actually on the body of the fish, red on one side and blue on the other!

Having looked through all the 'Murano' fish on eBay, I wasn't convinced that it was exactly the same, mainly for the reasons which you have explained ~  I'm now very glad that I asked.

Many thanks again for your help, which is very much appreciated.

Regards, John.

PS Would you mind if I used this information in my eBay listing (with due acknowledgement, of course)?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »
    Della — Your fish just doesn't shout "Nazeing" at me, in the way that John's does.   It could have been by a different glassworks in a similar style, or have been by a different glassmaker at Nazeing.   If you compared it with a dozen or more classic Nazeing fish, you could check the colours and tooling to see if it was the second possibility, but I don't know how you would get enough fish together to do that — I've only two in stock at the moment.

I'm sorry that I can't be more help.

Quote from: johnfandmaryp
    ... Would you mind if I used this information in my eBay listing (with due acknowledgement, of course)?
    John — I'm pleased that you asked.   Yes, as long as you take care to not change the sense of my words.   An approach favoured by some is just to link to this topic, also important in your case as it provides access to my copyright notice and source citations.

Bernard C.  8)   
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »
    Thank you Bernard. I was wondering how to include your sources, so will link to here as you suggest.

Regards, John.

Offline Della

• Members
    • Addicted to glass!
      • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
    « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »

Thank you for your reply, Bernard. It is much appreciated.
    He will just remain a glass fish in the cupboard for now.  ;D
    If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
    • Members
      • Glass history
      • Europe
      • Gateway
    « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
    All fishes would be welcomed in the Zoo aquarium too please! Might start getting some more real identities

That one is Verrerie d'Art de Bendor.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
    « Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 12:57:06 AM »
    Will get some pictures to you tomorrow, Frank.

Think I've got another one somewhere but no ID for it yet, so will post that one too.

Cheers, John.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 05:17:49 AM »
    Della  — With Stephen Pollock-Hill's project to set up a small museum at Nazeing Glass Works, it may not be too long before he has enough fish and horses/ponies available to make a comparison worthwhile.

... and thanks.   I looked up horses/ponies in Timberlake, and we have a named glassmaker!   Apparently in 1963 Nazeing's Albert Beugnies, one of their Belgian workers, won joint first prize in a competition for friggers organised by The British Glass Manufacturers Federation.

So was Albert Beugnies the creative genius behind the fish?   More than likely, I would think.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand