No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight Identification  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Paperweight Identification
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 03:33:32 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I am very happy that paperweights ("gift-type" / "collectable" / "wow-factor") have had a good airing recently. So I really must give a plug for the UK-based Paperweight Collectors Circle (since I am current webmaster for the site). Those of you who have developed an interest in these fascinating 'baubles', and are not yet members, may like to consider joining, even if only for the full-colour newsletter produced 3 times a year - http://www.kevh.clara.net/index.htm

Kevin, I am ashamed to admit that I hadn't joined up (yet) and will remedy this omission at once  :P

Re Allan Scott:  I looked at the site you mentioned and examples of his work.  He is certainly very good!   :shock:

I have just (literally!) bought a paperweight on eBay which looks to me to be identical to his 'Dahlia' produced at Jay Glass in 1982.  The seller said they thought it might be by John Deacons - not sure why - but it certainly looked like Scott to me.  I'll let you know when I get it and maybe post a picture.  

Nobody else was bidding on it at all!   :o  I was surprised, 'cos it's a beautiful weight whoever made it   :roll:  

Perhaps the ?? JD attrib put people off?  As in, 'That's not a Deacons!  I'm not falling for that one!'  My gain, anyway!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2005, 04:50:04 PM »
Hi Leni,

Jay Glass was set up by John Deacons (1978 to 1983). Allan Scott joined John as lampworker in 1979, but weights were all "Deacons". When Jay Glass closed, Allan went to Caithness Glass where items he designed or made were "Caithness".

It's the person who does the encasement, or the Company for non-studio work, that is regarded as the maker. But lampworkers and cutters do get credit sometimes, particularly for studio work and this is more so these days. It's good that in many of the current Scottish weights the other workers do get a fair share of the recognition.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2005, 11:06:17 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Jay Glass was set up by John Deacons (1978 to 1983). Allan Scott joined John as lampworker in 1979, but weights were all "Deacons".

Kevin, Frank,

Many thanks for the info on Allan Scott.  I have just received the 'Dahlia' paperweight I bought on eBay and it is definitely the one shown on your page about Scott, Frank!   :D  I am delighted!  (One where my heart *didn't* lead me astray!   :P  )

BTW, I have also just bought a weight on eBay which I am convinced is a Clichy!  I don't have it yet, but from the pics I am sure I can see at least one Clichy rose   :shock:   I will let you know when I get it if I think I'm right - and maybe ask for confirmation?   :wink:  

Oh, and Kevin, the email problem was at my end!   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
is this the same weight originally posted here?
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »
pic no longer available?
I was sold this weight this past friday. Was told by the auctioneer that it is from the estate of Ava Gardner purchased by 2 sisters (paperweight collectors) here in NC, and proof could be provided. All the proof I have is the receipt stating Large Paperweight - Ava Gardner. As far as Ava Gardner and paperweights I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ava_Gardner

about her knocking out Howard Hughes with one, this one is big enough to kill though and no dings. lol

Here's the weight:

As far as 5 yrs or so dated in a prior post, she died in 1990 I also see, so this one would have to be atleast 16 or so yrs old at the very least. Also I notice 4 distinctive blue dots along the white floor the tiny frogs are nestled on.

Any input would be most helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark E.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »
Quote from: KevH
Frank, please do try to find the dissertation on the Diatreta process you mentioned.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1015.0.html

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: is this the same weight originally posted here?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
Quote from: "myweights"
I was sold this weight this past friday. Was told by the auctioneer that it is from the estate of Ava Gardner purchased by 2 sisters (paperweight collectors) here in NC, and proof could be provided.

Hi Mark, this weight looks like a modern (as in any time after 1930)  Chinese to me.  I have a couple in this 'coral' style, but without frogs, although I do have a couple of others with frogs in.  

Looks like yours is a combination of two styles.

Leni

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
hi leni
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »
I have one with a larger water lily and larger frogs that is undoubtedly Chinese. The frogs in this one are alot alike but about 1/10th scale.
Thanks for the info.
Mark E.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand