No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Frigger...  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard Frigger...
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »
Here's a frigger I picked up last weekend. The dealer had purchased it from the wife of a deceased Holmegaard glassblower who was selling off a few bits and bobs - the dealer is finding out the name of the blower for me when he next gets in touch with her as he'd forgotten.  ::) I should really try to get her contact details myself, to see if she doesn't mind discussing her husband's work so any interesting bits can be recorded. It's odd that the family of a Holmegaard glassblower relocated to my town, but I suppose there are still lots of links between here and Denmark from when it was a major fishing port.

The vase utilises the colours of Michael Bang's 1981 'Atlantis' range in an unusual way and on a shape I don't recognise whatsoever from Holmegaard production. The base is unfinished. I think it was free-blown, but how would the wavy rim have been achieved?

Overview 1
Overview 2
Base

I'm unconvinced by the label attached to the vase - there's lots of splodgy glue around it and it looks to have been peeled off something else at some point, but the vase is unmistakably Holmegaard.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Frigger...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »
Good morning Nic.

I had my paws on a vase at the weekend that I found very hard to put down as I had that feeling I get when I've seen something but can't quite remember exactly what/where.

It may have been from the Atlantis range, and I wondered if there were any key elements that are always present in that range that would help me to be sure before I go back and buy it?

Starting to think I should be taking my camera everywhere..........

Thank you
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
Atlantis is difficult one to pin down unless you're familiar with the colour - it was released in a large variety of shapes and sizes, sometimes with coloured rims, sometimes without - and they were available in pink too, which is very easy to confuse with the 1985 'Sakura' range.

There's a variety and 'Atlantis' and 'Sakura' here: Glashistorisk Selskab

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:39:07 AM »
Nic - that's actually very very helpful.  I can see 2 distinctive features - there are lines and not just splodges on all pieces and there is a blue element on all of them.  The opportunity to see the rims on a few pieces also helps.  I feel confident that I would "know" when I see it again if it's "right".  YOU are a star!  Thanks Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
The pink one doesn't have any blue elements.  ;D Michael Bang produced a few more similar ranges throughout the early-mid 1980s which can muddy the water further, but if you stick to the blue ones, then they're fairly easy to spot. It's the pink ones that blend into a number of other ranged.

I think there may have also been a purple version of Atlantis, but I don't have one in my collection or research notes so I couldn't say for sure.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 02:47:57 PM »
It's a good time of the year for Holmegaard friggers, it seems - just bought a small clear glass bird with encased swirls of Carnaby/Palet red and blue in its centre, purchased in the factory shop in 1970. I'll post photos when it lands.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand