No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Amber Glass Lamps. (Mould Blown)  (Read 9219 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Two Amber Glass Lamps. (Mould Blown)
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
 Hi showed the pictures to Ray Annenberg this afternoon not W/Fs his feeling continental.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
Hi, If you go to the 'Cafe' you can see a link to a short film of this type of lamp being made.......
 Regards Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
johnphillip
               thank you for asking at least we now know that they are not WF, also Patrick thanks for the link for the film very interesting and nice to see how someone would have made them.
                                                            Steve

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »
Evening.
           Today i purchased these two caged glass lamps can anyone please help me with how and when these may have been made please, from the fitting i am guessing 50s but don't know anything about lamps, i intend to put these up on the wall over the decking area i am in the process of doing, think they will had a nice ambiance to the area.

would these have been blown in a mould with the cage already in ? am a bit worried about taking the cage of and not getting it back on as they need to be rewired,
                         cheers
                           Steve

They could be by Nazeing Glass Works of Broxbourne from the mid 1950' to early 1970's.
There are about ten different designs and shape and they were blown in smoke, amber, a pale purple, and ruby. I my be able to post some photos here, later.
Incidentally, my wife and I spotted two of our shapes hanging at Chartwell, Sir Winston Churchill's home in Kent. A small company of wire-drawers, based locally in Hoddesdon, made most of the frames for us. They developed a special machine making square rather than flat or round wire canes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
Square wire would be a good clue, mostly had flat or round. Metal used varies too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand