No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed amber vase - ID = Ząbkowice  (Read 18357 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Pressed amber vase - ID = Ząbkowice
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5076

9.5" / 24cm tall.
Pressed decoration of 9 columns of concentric rectangles with rounded corners, becoming squarer as they reach the rim.

3-piece mould.  Fire-polished top rim.

Shallow indented base with ground finish.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5075

It's very heavy and of very nice quality.  Does anyone recognise this?

Thanks
Chris

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Pressed amber vase - possible Sklo Union ??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »
Hi Chris, on page 283 of the DK Collectables Price Guide 2007 there's one pictured in grey - they seem unsure and say it's 'possibly by Sklo Union or a Scandinavian factory' however, I think it bears some slight similarities to the Taalari range designed by Tamara Aladin for Riihimaki.  Ever since I saw the photographed one in the DK book I've been wondering myself - hopefully Marcus might be able to shed some light on it.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
Thanks, Pip.
bothery publishers!  I've only just got my hands on the 2006...
Is there a lot of duplication of the previous issue in the 2007?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:49:10 PM »
Thanks, Pip.
bothery publishers!  I've only just got my hands on the 2006...
Is there a lot of duplication of the previous issue in the 2007?

Couldn't say 'cos I didn't get the 2006 version!  ;D  Personally, I think it's pretty good although it's probably a lot more relevant for me than the majority of the folk on this board because I also deal in retro ceramics and other collectables like plastics and textiles.  For glass collectors only it may not be as useful as it is for me.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:36:54 PM »
I can't see that this is Scandinavian.  I think Polish perhaps, rather than Czech, could be on the right track if there's a grey version shown somewhere, I haven't seen this design before though.

Funny how I've got DK Collectibles 2003/4/5 (when I stopped buying them  >:D) - between us, we have a full set.  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
Pip,
I just dug out a Taalari bowl I bought off Vidfletch ages ago.
They're really quite different animals.
The Taalari greek key design is much more prominent, and the base rim is smooth (fire-polished) rather than ground flat. 
The vase has a similar feeling of quality about it, though.  I like it very much.  A pity noone can put a name to it.   :(
This amber has a real orange tint to it, so perhaps it's Krosno, as Christine commented in another thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9359.0.html.

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
Hi Chris,

I was not ignoring this, feeling I could contribute nothing useful, but you bumped it.

This appears as "possibly SU or a Scandinavian factory" in Judith Miller's Collectables Price Guide 2007, for a reason.

I am not prepared to state that this is SU, when I have seen no documentary evidence to suggest that it is. This, and another vase which regularly appears on eBay with a pronounced foot and triangular patterning in a similar style to your vase, have defied a positive attribution, and the vase with triangles has been attributed by others, to SU and Ruda, amongst possible candidates.

regards,

Marcus

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Hi Marcus,

I was really just getting back to Pip, but thanks for chipping in your 2ยข, as they say across the Big Pond.  Always appreciated.

I think I have one of the triangle pattern vases you mention. I recall that it featured in a long SU thread a while back: 7" or so tall, octagonal section foot, smoky green colour, nice balanced feel, and very conscientiously finished off. 

I hadn't seen this here orange/amber creature anywhere before, but am very pleased to have made its acquaintance.  Although the base is very well finished, it just doesn't seem to fit the SU "look and feel" - or the colour for that matter.  I rather think the burnt orangey colour may be the key to identifiying its origins.  Will keep my radar engaged...

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »
ah, frinstance, one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200078223765

mod: link shortened

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »
What a co-incidence, I also have one of these vases and I asked Marcus about it since I had my doubts about it being Sklo Union.  Going on the finish of the foot/base Marcus suggested possibly Polish production or Ruda Glasbruk but again, this is one of those undecided pieces.  It just doesn't feel like SU glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand