No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart 681307 tumblers and lookalikes  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Gorgeous blue drinking glasses - ID please
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »
Hi Chris, Thanks for the new pics. Yes I see the differences between the blue and amber tumblers... the base is slightly different and the bowl shape is too. The Dema advert is certainly closer to the blue ones, isn't it? Wouldn't it be good if we could find a definite Dema one and put it alongside your other two and do a side-by-side comparison?  :-\
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the Sherdley pinwheel pics. Looks like a definite match for the 1940 Woolworths advert.

Hats off to you - I don't think I have the patience for comparing pseudo-cut-glass patterns!
Heidi

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2007, 09:36:22 AM »
I had the bowls sitting in the sideboard.  Been using them for trifle and fruit salad for donkey's years.  When I saw the ad, they jumped out at me.
Won a "free" box of pressed glass at an auction the other week (it got lumped in with the lot I actually wanted).  When I looked, the tumblers were sitting on top.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Etched amber Stuart glasses
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
Rather nice set of 5? registered design number 681307 February 1922 all are etched Stuart England but not all have the design number etched on the base. See a lot with the Stratford rings but not with etched/cut pattern.
Just under 4" high, being more of a tumbler shape would they maybe come from a water set with a jug perhaps? rather than a decanter. Any help regarding pattern, possible age, I realise they were made any time from the registration date onwards but maybe someone can narrow it down with the style.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Stuart#

Chris :sun:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Etched amber Stuart glasses
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 03:47:03 AM »
Rather nice set of 5? registered design number 681307 February 1922 all are etched Stuart England but not all have the design number etched on the base. See a lot with the Stratford rings but not with etched/cut pattern.
Just under 4" high, being more of a tumbler shape would they maybe come from a water set with a jug perhaps? rather than a decanter. Any help regarding pattern, possible age, I realise they were made any time from the registration date onwards but maybe someone can narrow it down with the style.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Stuart#

Chris :sun:

Chris  - no real evidence for this other than experience, but I associate such simple free-form naturalistic decoration with the post-war period '50s - '70s.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »
Hi Chris i have the Deco cocktail decanter that goes with them , give you a fiver as its Christmas thats a whole pound each .. Regards jp  :X:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Thank you Bernard for that :sun:
Thanks for the offer John boy will give it some serious  thought and get back to you ..................................NO :chky:

Chris

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
Hooookay! Today I found 4 unlabelled clear glasses in this style, which I bought to compare with my amber Stuart ones. The clear ones are, I think, the Dema machine-made ones.

The clear ones are much thinner and lighter than the Stuart ones. I weighed the clear ones and each one is 100-101g, my scales aren't accurate enough to get closer than that. The Stuart ones vary between 226g - 255g, so much heavier.

Chris can you weigh your blue ones for comparison please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
i have no doubt the blue glasses with the rings are Stuart , i also believe the collection of Nazeing was one i uncovered thru a friend  and passed on to other friends as i was going in to Hospital at the time , i have never heard of the outcome of this , but i am pretty sure this is the case , of course i could be wrong . my friend says  :-X

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »
I too agree, they are most likely Stuart "Stratford" glasses. 

Currently I have a thread running in the glass section [ http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48421.0.html ] which is to do with blue Stuart Crystal.  Interestingly, while mine has labels on the jug and four of the five glasses, none of the items has a touch mark.  This seems to be so for all of the pieces mentioned so far - I wonder why.   Further the base of the glasses seems a little unusual compared to others of a similar shape to mine.

If you scan through the thread you will find a link to a Stuart catalog I put up on Yobunny where the profile of Stratford glasses is quite clear.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand