No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Franklin Mint Bicentennial sulphides  (Read 1988 times)

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Franklin Mint Bicentennial sulphides
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
How many weights were in the editon and who sculpted the sulphide inserts? I know there were ten weights in sets of two with one American and one French in each.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rsts

• Members
Re: Franklin Mint Bicentennial sulphides
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:53:36 AM »
There were ten weights in the set along with biographical information on each weight and the American and French leaders and patriots depicted.  Five were American and five were French. The sulphide portraits were sculpted by Gilbert Poillerat, George Simon, Albert David, M Renard and other great sculptors on the staff of Baccarat and Crystal d' Albret.  This link is to additional information on the bicentennial set.
http://www.rstreasures.com/Franklin_Mint.htm   Hope this helps you with your question.
Razorback Country, AR, USA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »
I've gotten a few of these in the last couple of weeks and I really like the detail in them. Sulphides are a new category for me.

I did happen across your page the other day and found the information very helpful. The one bit I have not be able to find anywhere is exactly how many of each weight was made. A typical Baccarat issue was 2000 pieces.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
Have you researched Baccarat paperweights? I am trying to get some data on one they made in the 1920's.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
I've done some research. I'm sure there someone around who knows a lot more than I do.

From what I've dug up, Baccarat had long ceased to make paperweights by 1920. They started making them again in the 50s at Paul Jokelson's instigation. They had to 'reinvent the wheel' because the secrets of making them in the mid 1800s had been lost. The first weight in the 50s was a sulphide of Eisenhower.

Do you have a piccy of your weight?

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:37 PM »
I have a Baccarat documentation of a weight made in 1925 and a drawing of a weight made in the 1930's. Waiting on more information first. Still trying to persuade Baccarat to discuss the matter but I have no contact there and they are a bit aloof at the front door (read brick wall).

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:38:03 PM »
I'd be very interested in any info you are able to find on that. Interest in paperweight collecting was revived in the 20s. Wonder if Baccarat made a couple weights in response to demand.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:00:16 AM »
Just a few extra thoughts thrown in ...

I know the item that Frank is referring to. It is not a regular paperweight in the sense of what know as millefiori or lampwork enclosed in a magnifying dome.

And, although there was a gap in paperweight poduction after the 1880s, the evidence of "Old English" items, believed to be from the 1910/20 period, shows that the techniques of, at least, millefiori had not entirely been lost.

Also, there are the so-called "Baccarat Dupont" weights from the 1930s period that are very much like the antique ones. [By the way, a French paperweight collector told me that "Dupont" is a name that is used like "Smith" or "Jones" in the UK and may not necessarily refer to an actual individual.]
KevinH

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 04:37:50 AM »
I just got a hold of Hollister's Encyclopedia of Paperweights. It describes the Dupont weights as being millefiori garland and pansy weights. Hollister knew a lady who used to buy the weights from one shop. When she asked if she could meet Mr. Dupont the factory manager refused saying her was an irascible fellow.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »
Baccarat responded, the paperweight "La Vague" was inspired by an inkwell designed in crystal and gilt bronze for the International Fair of Nancy, 1909. The inkwell is in Baccarat's collection and is quite a stunner. As the weight got to retailers there must be some in circulation.

Here is a line drawing from a 1930's Baccarat retailers catalogue, courtesy the Glass-Study. At some point the photograph from 1925 will be scanned too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand