No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two 1.5kg Czech Candle Holders. Any Ideas?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Two 1.5kg Czech Candle Holders. Any Ideas?
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
Hi All,

These solid little devils weigh in at over 1.5kg each. They have a label, so I know that they were hand made in Czechoslovakia. I am sure that I have seen this label before, but I cannot for the life of me remember where.
The bases are polished and flat.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5084
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5085

Thanks, as always, for any help  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Re: Two 1.5kg Czech Candle Holders. Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
Ooooh now that would be:
Vizner design for Skrdlovice, @ 1968, and probably the glass-master was Spinar.
Lovely stuff.
regards,
Marcus
PS are these four colour sommerso?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »

Hi Marcus & thank you!!  ;D

As far as I can tell, there are just the two colours? The photo's are pretty accurate on the blue one (when held up to the light). The colour inside the green is a little more pinkish/amber in colour. The colours really play with your eyes and I cannot seem to capture the fact that the bubbles actually look like water flowing back and forth.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
When you get bored with them Della, I suppose I can take them off your hands... If I must  ;) ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:47:05 AM »
Later production of items in this pattern rely on less sophisticated colouring, usually a core colour, cased, then another gather to case the bubbles (bublinove in czech) with sometimes a further casing layer. The early pieces were carried out by some of the most important glass-masters at the factory, but, once people of Spinar's stature retired, it was not possible/desirable (economics?) to use such complex techniques.

See also: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3969.0.html

Regards,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »

Marcus,  ;D
I knew that I had seen something like it before, thanks Marcus. I remember reading about your lamp base. The green one that I have, has exactly the same colourway and bubble design as your lamp base. The blue one has fewer, less complicated, bubbles, literally like a spiral of intermittant, elongated bubbles.

David,  :-*
They will be on ebay soon, unfortunately, the wedding fund for Victoria still needs to be added to. Her baby is also due in 2 weeks, so I will probably wait until the baby is born to list as I would like to go to the UK as soon as it arrives to have a cuddle and say hello.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand