No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please on the base of a Loetz Formosa bowl  (Read 1135 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Help please on the base of a Loetz Formosa bowl
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:22:07 AM »
I have a Loetz Formosa bowl up for grabs at the moment:

ebay auction link

I have had a question from a potential buyer about the base, who asked for more pictures of the base, which I have sent him - you can see the gallery of these pics here.

He has now asked a further question that I would appreciate some help with.  The base has been lightly ground flat, taking the tops of the threads on the underside.  I assumed this was normal as the threading could have made the underside unstable.  The potential buyer is asking if this was done at the factory, or subsequently. 

This is the first piece of Formosa I have seen - I am still learning about Loetz as I go, although I love it very much - so I haven't seen any others to compare.  Is it usual for the threads to be flattened on the base, or could this have been done later to disguise damage?  There is a fair bit of wear to the flattened threads, but considering the date, that could be expected even if the grinding was subsequent, if it was also a vintage repair.

thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Help please on the base of a Loetz Formosa bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »
Hi

Pretty certain that's absolutely original -having compared it with a much larger one that I have in stock

nice looking piece -I was already watching it. I'm now having one of those 'hmmm...  much too honest' moments!

cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Help please on the base of a Loetz Formosa bowl
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:37:02 AM »
Thanks Mike, that's what I needed, a comparison with another piece.

It's ever so nice... I don't want to sell it really.

But if you read more of my posts, this feeling of "ooooooh, mine mine mine" isn't unusual for me.    8)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand