No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Paperweight with off mis of Ysart/Strathearn canes  (Read 2094 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Unusual Paperweight with off mis of Ysart/Strathearn canes
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
I recently acquired this paperweight. It is 2.5" in diameter and is in the style of a Perthshire PP4, the base has been star cut, but not in the best quality I have seen, and the canes have been pushed high up into the dome.

What is interesting is that there is an odd match of canes here. The centre cane looks Monart/Ysart but some of the other canes could be Vasart and there are some Strathearn canes included too.

I have been told that Jack Allan had a bag of canes from Vasart and Strathearn, where he worked, and it has been suggested that this weight could have been made at Perthshire using some of Jack's old canes but we will never know the tru origin of this unusual weight. Here is a picture

Mod:  Large embedded photo converted to GlassGallery link:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5184

Anyone have any comments/suggestions or observations please ?
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Unusual Paperweight with off mis of Ysart/Strathearn canes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:13:45 PM »
Quite feasible, Stuart Drysdale also had two large boxfulls of Vasart canes, although these were misplaced later when asked about c1990.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Unusual Paperweight with off mis of Ysart/Strathearn canes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:10:35 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that the central cane and those in the outer row are early Vasart (Ysart Brothers). The others could easily be later Vasart. In the past year or two, I have seen several examples of canes that I have originally thought were probably Strathearn but they were in weights with characteristics of Vasart work (including a few with a label).

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand