No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful Ysart Heart  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Beautiful Ysart Heart
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »
suspect that many of the canes made in the 30s, and used in known Paul Ysart weights, were also taken for use at the start of the Ysart Brothers company.

Err isn't that proven Kev... Amongst the canes I obtained from Vincent's widow for example. Ysart Glass Pl 141 also as endpapers in John Simmonds book.

Or is my memory that bad?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:25 PM »
Good point, Frank. Mine was a generalised statement made without a great deal of rigour in my own reviewing :-[

I'll take this opportuntity to clarify:

Yes, the usage is certainly proven for some canes although I don't think that I, or anyone else, has yet fully documented which canes those are. But those who were at the Ysart Glass Conference may recall that I covered some of the examples in my slides.

The full version of my intended comment should have been, "I suspect that there are many more canes, apart from those already known, which have been used in Paul's work and also in that of Salvador and Paul's brothers at the Ysart Brothers (Vasart) works."

(Oh, and for good measure, although there is (almost) no actual evidence to support the idea, I cannot rule out the making of some millefiori weights and ink bottles by Salvador in the 1930s - which, if they exist, could also contain canes that Paul used in his own early weights and bottles.)

The set of canes that Frank mentions as shown in the Ysart Glass book were eventually passed on to a paperweight collector who was a contributor to the book. They were later photographed, still on their sticky base (akin to Blu-tack) as end plates, not for John Simmonds' book, but for Scottish Paperweights by Bob Hall, published 1999. They were also shown earlier, on page 63 of Paperweights by Pat Reilly, originally published 1994 (now in a reprint version).

And those canes also nearly made it to my own web pages, but my photos turned out to be unusable and I have not since bothered to get fresh images!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 05:53:14 PM »
Actually I had embedded them in Polyfilla ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand