No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More Mystery Glass: Blue glass blown into copper sleeve  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Piper

• Members
More Mystery Glass: Blue glass blown into copper sleeve
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:33:29 PM »
Hey everyone:
I know I'm probably being a bother. I try not to be. I try to research and ID my glass for myself when I can. But it's difficult when I haven't got a clue as to who mad a piece or even what the proper terms are to describe an object.

This glass is beyond me...I have 3 of these things. they could be vases, candle holders or maybe even drinking glasses (?). They are about 7 1/4" tall. They are blue glass that's been blown into a copper or tin sleeve. There is a geometric pattern of squares and diamonds cut into the sleeve that the glass "puffed" out through (like a quilt) when it was blown. There are metalic traces on bottom where they cut the glass at. Does anyone here have any idea what they are or who made them, how to describe them and are they worth listing on Ebay??

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/zatzafraz/Picture001.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/zatzafraz/Picture002.jpg

Thanks for any help.
-Piper.

Never trade a diamond for a brick. No matter how bad you need a brick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: More Mystery Glass: Blue glass blown into copper sleeve
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »
Hi Piper

I'm sure no-one here thinks you're making a nuisance of yourself!  I can only speak for myself but I love looking at the various different pieces of glass posted on here - things I'd probably never come across - and learning about them from what's posted.

In the case of your blue/copper jacket vase, a chap called Wiktor Berndt produced glass items similar to this for Flygsfors in the 1960's (I think) - although whether that is correct for your piece I couldn't say but I'd definitely recommend you try searching for some items by him for comparative purposes and see how you get on.  Hopefully someone else on here will either confirm (or more likely) refute my suggestion  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
I had a Berndt combined pitcher/smoking set a while ago in this finish, and the quality of this one doesn't match up at all. So I would say that it isn't Berndt.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:32:30 PM »
Yes Pips quite right Wiktor Berndt Tribal range for Flysfors around 1960 were very similar, though I don't think this is from that range as they were always signed to the base and I've only ever come across the copper cased pieces in amber and green and never in blue.
Don't suppose you've still got yours Nic?
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Piper

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:40:07 PM »
Oh thank you!! I will start I have made a cup of tea and will start researching Wiktor Berndt. This does seem to be poor quality glass, so it probably isn't Berndt. But at least now I have a place to start. Thank you :)!!

I hope you're right, Pip. I would hate to be a bother to anyone. It just seems that I'm always asking for help and I'm never able to offer any help to anyone else. Maybe someday someone will have an item that I recongnize and can help them with...

-Piper.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
'Fraid I sold the set midway through last year, Paul, and the photographs of it got lost in the recent death of a hard-drive.  :(

I do recall that it was green, though. The pitcher & glasses were signed, but the smoking set wasn't - but the glass was the same colour throughout and the copper had the same pierced design, and so were certainly from the same range.

Offline Piper

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »
 :o Gosh, I wish these were Wiktor Berndt. Not a one of them is signed and the quality isn't there so it's pretty safe to say they aren't Berndt, right?

Does anyone here have a link where I can see something from Wiktor Berndt Tribal range for Flysfors for comparison??

-Piper.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 11:55:32 PM »
Not sure this helps, Piper, but there's sometyhing on whitefriars.com that they think is Berndt...
http://www.whitefriars.com/glass/whitefriars/464
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »
There's a signed Berndt item on the following site (you need to scroll down quite a way to get to it) ...

http://www.hiandlomodern.com/glassMain.html

They have some really nice stuff on that site (things that I'd absolutely love to have on mine!) however, I did notice quite a few items as I was scrolling down to the Wiktor Berndt piece that aren't positively ID'd and which I think are fairly straightforward  ;D (my time hanging around here obviously hasn't been a total waste!).

Offline Piper

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 02:41:36 AM »
Thanks for the links...After comparing my vases to both the signed piece and the mug shown at whitefriars I do not think that either the mug or my vases are Berndt. They both resemble the signed piece. The mug might be...but my vases definately aren't. Therefore, if I do sell these vases  (which I probably will because I personally don't like them) I will list them honestly as Wiktor Berndt knock-offs :) And that's what I think they are. Thanks for all of your help!!

I have one other mystery glass item that I will list in the next few days or so. Before I do that I want to look at these two sites some more. They both look like a really good sites...

-Piper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand