No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could these be Murano?  (Read 3695 times)

gw

Could these be Murano?
« on: February 23, 2005, 08:59:54 AM »
These pieces were purchased in Europe in 1960-70's by friends of my mother.

I believe them to be Murano glass. However, I do not find any signatures. Are there secret marks to look for? How can they be authenticated?

Your help and opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Here is where you can see the items:
http://www.georgieart.com/page12.html
http://www.georgieart.com/page13.html

Images from web pages added by Frank
From first link:
Ashtray -- Beautiful piece.
Approx 4" diameter, 3" tall. Light bright green, lots of bubbles.

From second link:
Vase -- See what you think. The color doesn't show really well in this photo. It is deep green at curling top moving into deep amber at base. Size: 8.5" high, coiled wave top, solid base, 8.5" oval.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Could these be Murano?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:16:23 AM »
Hello gw,
I have seen the Green Amber basket with teh J.I.Co. Venetian label, and similar ones were disigned by Fratelli Toso, althoughnot sure I can attribute this particular one to him.
The Yellow piece looks like Chalet glass, but have seen otehr Murano pieces in similar shapes. I would lean towards Chalet.
Hope this helps.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could these be Murano?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 06:49:30 AM »
The first one looks very Bohemia, but there are lots of confusables around. The second is Murano for (almost) sure.

gw

pictures are OK now
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »
Glad to report the BAD file has been fixed and photos should be available to everyone for viewing.

More info on the pieces -- They were purchased in Europe, according to family members who remember the details, by family friends who visited Italy regularly.

The basket vase was the first gift. Then, on a subsequent trip to Europe, the light green ashtray was purchased for my mother on her instructions -- she desired that particular color.

Funny how old people remember such tiny details!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand