No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boffin required  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Boffin required
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:17:11 PM »
Hi all.

Remember the 100lb megaplanet that Josh Simpson made for the Corning museum - well he has now released  DVD covering the 18 months of the project - see   http://www.megaplanet.com/store/home.php?cat=248.

Question  - does any one know whether an American DVD will play over here as the TV standards are different - NTSC v PAL?

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Boffin required
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »
It will play if your dvd player is region free. I believe there are also unlocking codes that can make players region free - but I could  be wrong about that one

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

Most of the modern DVD players will play both NTSC & Pal. Ours is 5 years old and plays both, without any problems, so if your player is newer than mine, an NTSC DVD should play for you. The cheaper the price of the player, the more chance you will have that it plays both formats (not sure why, but maybe to do with the country of manufacture and the ability to sell all over the world). It should say on the front of the DVD player what formats can be viewed.
We used to live in the States and a lot of our DVD's are from there, so we researched a lot before we bought one and found that it didn't really matter that much. It was down to personal choice.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
Hi Della and Christine - many thanks for the advice - have ordered the DVD. Will report on the contents in due course !

Best regards

Derek

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi all

The DVD arrived today and having checked it was OK on my computer tried it in my DVD player - no problem !!!!

Any of you who are remotely interested in the technicalities of making paperweights MUST get this DVD - it is awesome as is Josh Simpsons studio.

If you like watching the ballet between a gaffer and a servitor then try this DVD with 8 glass artists working on the same piece at the same time!

It runs for just under an hout and the video, sound and editing quality is superb. Highly recommend

Regards

Derek

Offline stellar.artois

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
Thank you Derek, I'm going to order it right away  :D

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »
Great - dont forget to post your impressions of the DVD - I have now watched it 3 times - its totally facinating !!!

The ordering process is rather convoluted - you have to go through the payment process and give your credtit card details BEFORE  your order gets registered on their system - you will then get a message saying they will contact you with the shipping charge. If you havn't heard anything within 24 hours send an e-mail to them at wendy "at" megaplanet "dot" com to chase.

Best regards

Derek

Offline stellar.artois

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 08:59:49 PM »
Hi Derek,

Yes, I thought that was a little odd, am still waiting to hear about the shipping. It's done manually rather than instant processing so it will depend perhaps on how busy they are. I'll give them a reminder tomorrow if I havent heard back.

It's an impressive piece isn't it. Their muscles must have muscles  :D

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »
Just wait until you see how they shape the dome !

Regards

Derek

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »
We actually have an area that covers book reviews in the main Glass forum:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,569.0.html

While it isn't printed medium, it's still very relevant. As a suggestion, it might be worth posting your opinions here.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand