No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is amberina glass the same as carnival glass?  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

Re: Is amberina glass the same as carnival glass?
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
Ok Tony you don't have to be such a smart young whippersnapper  ;D

Thank you I would have been searching all day through Pamela's site  ;)

Where is Pamela??  Chinese New Year is over.  Maybe she is still recovering from the Year of the Pig celebration  ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs!

Thanks for the ID, I had no idea that the Swedish made amberina glass, clocks and stunning etched glass but not amberina.

Could it be 1930's or may it be later?

Glen, that thing in the bottom is the roof of the conservatory reflection, I dashed out quick to take it and the light was dire.

See, am back down to the base of that hill again  ::) ::)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 08:39:49 PM »
I'm sure someone will know what the pattern is - and then we'll all kick ourselves.
EDITED TO ADD.... or could it be European?

Thank you, TC!  ;D  ;D I knew I'd seen it before....but where?  ;D

Barbara, thanks for the explanation of the mystery label that I thought I saw  ;D
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
Glen - One minor issue with your otherwise perfect description (and to add more confusion for everyone else), so-called self-striking selenium reds were widely made, at least in the industrial field.  Transport rear lights in pre-plastic days struck red in the mould, although the thinner edges (in use covered by the fitting) remained amber.  The thicker the (part of) the article the longer heat would be retained and hence be more likely to strike.  I'll bet some of the comports etc appearing with red bowls and amber feet/legs would have come out of the mould looking like that although any necessary re-heating would have darkened the red.  That last sentence is guesswork - I've little practical experience in non-industrial rubies.

Adam D.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »
Adam, many thanks for your info, as always. I think Thomas Kopp is the person credited with introducing selenium red, isn't he? His company was the one that made the first red signal lights, I believe (could be wrong, of course).

My information regarding red Carnival is based on that given to me by (among others at Fenton) Fenton's Chief Chemist. So it is limited in its relevance to their pressed output.

I've got another little bit to add to this topic too - check out your red / amberina pieces with a UV (black) light. You'll notice that the amber parts glow! I took the following from a 1938 issue of the technical British journal "Glass" (described as "the recognised organ of the glass industry") that concentrated on the effects of UV on various compositions of glass. The main colouring agent that causes an orange glow under UV light is cadmium, usually in the form of cadmium sulphide. The journal reported that the fluorescence could vary from a citron yellow through to a dark red. Cadmium was usually added to the glass batch along with selenium to create red glass.

A further fascinating fact emerged - red to amberina glass will glow where the amber parts are. Selenium red with no amberina does not glow. To achieve the red glass the item is usually reheated to strike the glass. Until the moment of striking, the selenium/cadmium glass will react to UV light and glow. However, when the red colour appears, the fluorescence vanishes.

I have only tried the above with red and amberina Carnival (also the unusual colour called "Geraldine's Delight" that was made by Summit and...I think...Kemple before that. Someone will correct me if I am wrong). It's fascinating to see the orange glow. Try it on your comport, Barbara.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi Glen,

Have just checked it and the orange stem glows, but the yellow foot and the red bowl have no reaction at all, it looks really wierd.

Is amberina still made anywhere else other than the USA?

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »
Is amberina still made anywhere else other than the USA?

Good question! I would think the answer is yes, but I am not au fait with current glass production outside the USA. My knowledge of areas outside the US is more concerned with past production rather than current.

I am sure someone will give us details  :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »
Hi all  ;D
Just dropped in after several days of being very busy elsewhere. (Clearing my MiL's flat since - heaven thanks - she now lives in a 'seniour's residence' - she is what we call a MESSIE in German)

I am unable to contribute regarding the chemistry of glass - thanks to all, especially Glen, in this matter :D
Regarding the shape:
We had that one here previously, a lot depends on the star base of the upper bowl... Ivo has got one that is different to mine; a new small blue income here (not yet uploaded on my site) is similar to Ivo's. Glen has traced Polish catalogues of Niemen and Hortensja - you'll find it also there - Glen, please, is the base of the bowl visible in your Polish catalogues?
My contributing it to Sweden originates from my dear friend Dr. Doris Billek, who bought an absolutely similar to mine from a former glassworker of Strombergshyttan.
I'm still comparing and I would like to say: please count the diamonds between the floral medaillons - this could lead us further
Yes, Chinese New Year festivities ended and I am eagerly awaiting our daughter's call to be back to Shanghai - she and her friend had escaped for a break to the Philippines last week :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Glen has traced Polish catalogues of Niemen and Hortensja - you'll find it also there - Glen, please, is the base of the bowl visible in your Polish catalogues?

Hi Pamela - I've checked Niemen and Hortensja catalogues but this comport is not there.  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand