No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "A.M.R.&Co" Unknown Milk Glass Trademark  (Read 3571 times)

Offline MOWEN1952

• Members
"A.M.R.&Co" Unknown Milk Glass Trademark
« on: February 24, 2005, 05:25:29 PM »
I recently acquired a spooner and sugar bowl in a victorian style.  It is white milk glass on the inside, and a brown matte finish on the outside with hand painted enamel flowers and embossed victorian scrolling.  The trademark is that of the Westmoreland Shield, but the inside is stamped with "A.M.R.&Co"  Ware  Keystone ... I am unable to find out any information on this ... anyone out there familiar with this trademark?
Would appreciate hearing from you ..... Maureen

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:29:27 PM »
H.M. Rio was a decorating house in Philadelphia PA that bought blanks from other companies then decorated them. Their main line was called Keystone Ware and was marked with that name plus their own inside a keystone (shield). Dates from late 19th century to early 20th.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:32:47 PM »
So what's a spooner please, or rather what's it used for. Christine

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
They were used to hold spoons. A part of the typical Victorian "table set" -  the spooner, creamer, sugar and butter.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 05:40:03 PM »
I think the spooner held spoons so they didn't drip on the table and make a mess on the table cloth, is that right? Does it go back to the idea of drinking tea from the saucer, whereas now we drink from the cup and leave the spoon on the saucer (that is those who don't use a mug!  :lol: )
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline EAPG

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 12:42:11 AM »
What an old post, but spooners or spoons as they were frequently captioned in old catalogs are used to hold clean spoons.  I could never see any sense in opening and closing that drawer all the time so I keep spoons in a spooner, knives in a celery vase, and forks in a spooner where the pattern runs large.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand