No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Stuart's Startime?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Roz

• Members
Is this Stuart's Startime?
« on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Hello,

I have five very pretty little bowls looking very much like the Stuart Startime pattern. However, they don't have the Stuart logo etched anywhere. Could someone confirm if the one in the photograph is Stuart Startime, and if so, what would these little bowls have been called? Individual fruit bowls? 

Many thanks.

Roz

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5324

Offline Roz

• Members
Re: Is this Stuart's Startime?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
Replying to myself - I have six of these bowls. One was cunningly disguised as a lump of bubble wrap. :)

Does anyone have a definite opinion that they are NOT Startime by Stuart? If not, I'll take a risk and list them as such.

Roz

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:10 PM »
Hi, Roz. I don't have any expertise in Stuart cut glass, but the pattern looks identical to items I've seen advertised as Stuart Startime on e-Bay. And I do know that their pieces aren't always signed.

It is a lovely pattern, isn't it? I'm not generally a fan of cut glass, but I've been tempted...
Heidi

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:29 PM »
Ho Roz,

The stars look right for 'Startime' but not sure about the base ~ it looks a bit heavier than the stemware, but maybe it would have to be because of the shape of the bowl.

When I have this sort of thing to list, I usually call them grapefruit or sundae dishes, assuming they're the right size. I have three Stuart grapefruit dishes listed at the moment which are not marked as 'Stuart' but I tracked them down by the Rd. Number etched on the base.

Sorry I can't help more, John.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
Hi Roz,

I'm struggling with Stuart IDs myself.  I expect you've already looked here :

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/STUSTA.htm

Comparing their photos and your actual item might be more accurate than my guess from your photo and theirs.  

Did you see the 5 that ended on ebay?  300080317067  It may just be their black background and flash photography/artifical light, but yours looks "finer" somehow.

Love to know the verdict!

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »
John - where can you look to find makers for RD numbers?  Thanks Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »
Hi Cat,

There's a list of Registered Numbers and their makers on the Great Glass website at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos.htm

Very useful!

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:33:54 AM »
John - BRILLIANT.  Have identified my glass nappy as George Davidson registered 18/9/09.  Now I can get to the next stage much more easily.  Thanks you Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:30:30 AM »
Ho Roz,

The stars look right for 'Startime' but not sure about the base ~ it looks a bit heavier than the stemware, but maybe it would have to be because of the shape of the bowl.

When I have this sort of thing to list, I usually call them grapefruit or sundae dishes, assuming they're the right size. I have three Stuart grapefruit dishes listed at the moment which are not marked as 'Stuart' but I tracked them down by the Rd. Number etched on the base.

Sorry I can't help more, John.

Many thanks John, and all who replied.  :) The base of these is heavier than the stemware, but seems identical to the base of the Startime tumbler in Andy McConnell's "20th Century Glass". It was the lack of a logo that was worrying me, as Andy McC reckons that the logo was acid etched onto all pieces from 1930 onwards, and the Startime pattern was introduced in 1935.

Grapefruit dishes might be the best description for them. They are ever so pretty and if I don't list them soon they'll be going in my groaning glassware cupboard!  :) They'll be on the Bay this week.

Roz

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »
Good luck Roz!  :)
And well done Cat ~ told you it was useful! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand