No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sherdley Nordic pattern  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Sherdley Nordic pattern
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:54:55 AM »
I have a small collection of pieces from the Sherdley Nordic range - some of them are shown here:
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-883 - but reading through the book by Kevin & Margaret Conway, A Century of Household Glassware in Australia 1880-1980, there is a bowl which looks to be the same pattern (on page 92) but listed as Lotus by Crown Glass, 1950's.   Can anyone tell me, please, if this is one of the attribution errors in this book (referred to elsewhere on the board), or was the pattern also made/marketed in Australia by Crown Glass?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Sherdley Nordic pattern
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »
Looking through my materials I can't find any reference to the pattern being made or marketed by the company. Therefore, I'd say not Crown.

I've got a salad set in the pattern hidden away somewhere, satinised and with hand-enameled flowers. The decorative treatment was probably done by Etherden who were Australian, apparently, and who used mostly Crown glass but occasionally glass from Bagley and others as blanks. They seem to have vanished without trace, so all we know of them is from labelled examples of their goods. It's possible that the existence of these Etherden-treated items have caused the confusion.  ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:03 AM »
Wasn't this range sold through FW Woolworth? Are there good old Woolies in Oz? Maybe it was just an assumption that they were Crown as they popped/pop up frequently

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
Yup, we have Woolies, so that's probably how they got here! WRT the book ID, it's probably just that it sort of looks vaguely Crown-like, and the authors in question have assumed that anything that turns up regularly in heavy-ish glass is Crown or Czech.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »
Thanks Cathy, that's what I was thinking would be the case, but it's good to have a second opinion. :)

Christine, yes, sold through Woolworths here for sure, so presumably the same in Oz. I hadn't thought of that angle - thanks! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:14:58 PM »
Re. Woolies: Heidi and I had contact with the guy who ran the online museum - very willing to help. There's one area where an entire store was photographed - you might be lucky!

http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/ Mod: Link updated http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/

but: http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/hg-chinaglass.htm does show a photo of a Sherdley advert :)
Mod: Link updated http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/hg-chinaglass.htm
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:11 PM »
I've seen a couple of Sherdley ads from a Woolies promotional magazine, dated 1938 and 1940. Most of the glass pictured is what I assume to be pressed glass in very traditional pseudo-cut patterns, with a few more utilitarian items like lemon squeezers.

The earliest I've seen Nordic advertised is 1948 - and David just sent me a press release from 1961 which refers to it still being in production.

Not sure that adds anything in terms of your original query, Anne. But I thought I'd share the info anyway...  :)

The Woolies Museum site is fascinating - definitely worth a browse. And run by a really lovely guy from their IT department in his spare time.
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand