No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Guy Underwood or Bermondsey glass help please  (Read 10085 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: guy underwood or Bermondsey glass help please
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
The only published references I know of are to two pieces in the Manley collection and both were also marked Bermondsey Glass. One of these was cast glass.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »
The glass that the stands are on looks like float glass,

Images very fuzzy. Quite happy to be corrected! :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »
If it were float glass, this would date it to at least 1959.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
I'm not totally certain that the stands are original to the fish, but I suspect they are. Interesting that the lot in auction in Christines post is dated from the 1930's. I'm wondering where he may have been working at that time as I've only been able to place him at Bermondsey up to the first world war. I've followed Peters suggestion and dropped a mail to Peter Leyton also.
Having taken another look at all the fish, I'm 99% certain they are certainly pre-WW2 and the coloured ones in particular have a real art nouveau glass feel about them, that probably makes little sense but if you feel them you'd know what I mean.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
There's a large building complex off Bermondsey St., now divided into commercial units, offices and appartments but still called "The Glass House". It was built in the 1920's.
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:46:49 PM »
I've now e-mailed details to Nigel Benson so I'm hoping he'll be able to throw some more light on these.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
Hello all,

As has been said, very little is currently known about Bermondsey Glass, or its designer, Guy Underwood - at this point it is an assumption that he designed all their glass. A little is written in Cyril Manley’s book “Decorative Victorian Glass” (pages 28,75 and 99) and there is a mention in “British Glass Between the Wars” (in Appendix IV, under British Tableware Producers 1918 – 1939, page 111). Both briefly discuss the same two pieces, which, at the time, were the only known examples and BGBtW/Dodsworth concludes "Nothing known about this factory."

Manley notes that both pressed and blown wares were made by the firm (on the basis of the two items he owned). He also notes, “…as the two pieces shown are so different, especially their method of manufacture, there must be some exceptional specimens waiting to be discovered.” – I think Paul has found such examples. I also think that the glass plinths were made and finished especially for these stands - similar to other glass stands have been seen from the 1920's and 30's over the years.

Unfortunately, Manley dates the company to C1900, which would be unlikely with the words “British Made” written on the base of the known pieces of Bermondsey Glass. If anything it would indicate early 1930’s, as Dodsworth suggests in his essay about Gray-stan in BGBtW with the addition of “British” after Gray-stan; “These probably date to the early 1930’s when there was a ‘Buy British’ campaign in operation.”

I own three marked items of Bermondsey Glass, two are blown and the third is another version of the pressed, or cast, Madonna’s Head that is illustrated in Manley (also in blue glass). Although I have owned two of them for many years the third, a blue cased blown vase is in the 'cloudy' fashion of poor-end Nazeing (possibly even what I now refer to as the Elwell type Nazeing). This stimulated my interest in the subject because of it's similarity to Nazeing examples.

As a result of this interest I have been assembling as much researched material as I can find and have also used an appeal poster on my stand at fairs - so any additional information would be gratefully received (either through this GMB thread or directly to myself) and acknowledged when published.

1930's Nazeing (1934 - 1939), Powell (1928 - 1939), or Gray-stan (1926 - 1936) have a great deal more finesse although it is possible that they might have influenced Bermondsey’s production. Stylistically, the Bermondsey pieces and the Guy Underwood pieces in this thread owe far more to the late 1920’s and the 1930’s than to beginning of the twentieth century (pre First World War), so I would challenge the dates of c1900 defined by Manley and c1900-1914 as suggested on Great Glass’s website.

At this point in time, there are maybe 9 known and marked pieces of Bermondsey Glass. Until there is a large enough quantity of marked items, it is unlikely that we can say with any accuracy that there are particular characteristics associated with the firm that would allow us to identify unmarked items as from that source, but I suggest that the work dates from between the World Wars.

Nigel  

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »
see here

Sklounion

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi, Nigel, Frank, not sure that it helps, but there is a reference to Guy Underwood, exhibiting at The Alpine Club Gallery in 1923. (Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940
I am not sure there is a link between him, and the sculptor Leon Underwood, other than they both exhibited at the Alpine, but a check of the census records might help. George Claude Leon Underwood was born 1890, in Shepherds Bush.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »
Hello Marcus,

Thanks very much for the information - I've just checked it in our copy of Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940 :huh: Why on earth it didn't occur to me to look before I don't know :-[ Today's lesson duly noted and taken on board. Again, many thanks.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand