Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Schrotter patterns in production

(1/2) > >>

Sklounion:
Having recently read Glen's article on Lord pattern (Jacobean, in the UK, have I got that right), I went back to Petr Novy's fascinating book on pressed glass. I am a little surprised, but Novy seems to suggest that within Czechoslovakia, patterns by Schrotter, including "Lord,...... Pollax, Argos or Barolac, had remained in production until "the last twenty years of the 20th century".

OK, I was taken aback, though I was aware that in the 1960s, 50% of all pressed glass moulds used by Sklo Union, dated to the inter-war years. (ie patterns from Inwald, Stolzle and elsewhere) That they continued in production for so long, perhaps makes Schrotter's Lord, a candidate for longest-produced pressed glass pattern. (Any other candidates?)

What is also interesting is that Barolac is used by Novy, as a pattern by Schrotter, rather than as a term for a type of glass.

Just an small item for discussion :)

Marcus

Anne:
Jacobean was produced until fairly recently - I don't know when/if it has stopped being made, but it's not that long since I bought a vinegar bottle and an egg cup in Jacobean that were bought new. Certainly since I've been in the house I'm in now - and that's 16 years.

Frank:
Marcus any further observations 15 months on?

Ivo:
I visited the Frankfurt trade fair in 2000 and remember that the "Boule" pattern was still in production too.

Sklounion:
Aaarghhh!!!!
Glen and I have been discussing certain issues pertaining.....
15 months later, can I contribute usefully???
On long standing candidates for production....Possibly "Perforal" also by Schrotter, start of production 1947, and being produced as I write this....

Schrotter, in debate with Siegmar, Glen and others on the surface of it seems a most unlikely character, to have produced many (if any) designs for the "Barolac" range, and it is possibly to the designers of glass for Schlevogt, and others that we should be looking. This does NOT imply that Plewa created designs for Jenkins/Inwald, or that many designs remain in production.

I remain unsure as to why Petr uses Barolac in association with Schrotter, in such a manner.

15 months further on, I absolutely remain no expert on Barolac. I am as confused as many, though I have learnt much, and but for my Czech language skills, am no different to the majority, sure it allows me to read what little info there is, but real new solid, verifiable details, I'd be better off consulting Gypsy Rose Lee or Russell Grant. My impression is that the majority of Barolac "wisdom" per se, is founded on the flimsiest of evidence, much of which is fuelled by desire to protect prices, (sounds familiar??) with little or no basis in truth, or reliance on documented sources. As the generation who were there, have for the most part, shuffled off this mortal coil, and therefore are unable to verify our purported "knowledge", what we have is an exercise in theoretical studies.

JMHO,

Marcus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version