No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where to purchase murano glass  (Read 1407 times)

Offline SaintB

• Members
Where to purchase murano glass
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »
Hello:
I was recently bought some glass while visiting Murano and I think I've developed a little bit of an addiction. I am hoping that someone might direct me to an Italian- Venice based website where I could purchase some items online.

I am from Canada but currently am living in Europe until the summer. As a result, I am eligible for VAT refund when I leave. So my specific question is, do you know where I could buy direct from glass makers of Murano without going through a middleman or importer?

Secondly, when I was in Venice I saw the stunning gates of the Peggy Guggenheim musem which have scores of fist-sized glass rocks which are weaved into the iron. I am contemplating making a similar gate formyself when I get home. Of course I would need first of all to be able to source a place where I could buy these glass rocks. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
Secondly, when I was in Venice I saw the stunning gates of the Peggy Guggenheim musem which have scores of fist-sized glass rocks which are weaved into the iron.

I'm afraid I can't help you with any of your questions - presumably you've done a search for Murano online shops?  Also have a search on this site - I'm sure there are a few online Murano sellers who frequent it.   I really just wanted to agree with you about the brilliant gates at the Peggy Guggenheim museum and, of course, the museum itself - I had a great time there when I visited and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting the island (my mother set off one of the alarms in there inadvertantly which was funny also!).

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
Hi,
One of our members, Alex, has a Venice based shop and a website for buying:
www.artofvenice.com
I also was given a card from a lady, in a shop in Venice, when I bought some pieces last year. They wrap extremely well too!!
www.venice-2000.com
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:24:36 AM »
Are you looking for new or vintage Murano glass? Any particular artist or type of design?  That will help you narrow your search.

Laura

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:54:52 AM »
I am contemplating making a similar gate formyself when I get home. Of course I would need first of all to be able to source a place where I could buy these glass rocks. Any suggestions are very welcome.

I am sure that you should be able to get help in such a project from a glass artist local to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand