No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this satin glass?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Is this satin glass?
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:12:23 AM »
This vase is 14 cm high and 13 cm across. I bought it recently because I thought that it was very pretty and the enamelled decoration looks like 'cow parsley'.
The vendor said that it has been in his family for four generations. How sad that it is no longer an heirloom. I have cleaned it up and the colours in the photo are a good representation of how it looks.

It has a lot of wear on the base and an odd pontil, as though a clear glass disc with rough edges has been put there.
Also there is evidence of the 'tooling' round the rim, in the shape of pinholes and irregularities. I would be very grateful if someone could explain this to me.
I have read Johanna S. Billings's article on peachblow carefully and this does not seem to fit and looks similar in colour and texture to her example of satin glass but  must confess to being confused because I had thought that satin glass always had a quilted pattern in it.

vase  http://tinypic.com/ht73wp.jpg
base   http://tinypic.com/ht741u.jpg
top    http://tinypic.com/ht7444.jpg
top    http://tinypic.com/ht74b4.jpg
Thanks Ruth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:49:41 AM »
Hi Ruth

I haven't anything to add, but just wanted to say 'what a lovely vase!'.  It's totally NOT my usual cup of tea - but it's just so pretty!  I really love it.

xx
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:52:41 AM »
Thanks Max, I have edited this post four times so far, which reflects myconfusion and I do hope someone can help with all the questions!
Ruth

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:38:30 AM »
Hi Ruth, maybe I can help a little. The simplest and easiest way to describe satin glass is thus, If its glossy its not satin, if its matte it is. I realize thats a very simple way of looking at it. I would take it one step further and say if its matte with a satiny texture, its satin. With a quilted pattern (and there are others) you may be thinking of what we call here in the states as Mother of Pearl Satin glass.
I have Billings book on Peachblow and as you say, it can be very confusing. Hope this helps a little Terry

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 09:52:02 AM »
Yes, it is helpful, it is matte looking with the finger feel of satin.
 I will withhold on the MOP part because that maybe the subject of my next confused post!
Thank you, Ruth

Connie

Is this satin glass?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 10:03:01 AM »
Ruth - To me the piece looks like a piece of Satin  Peach Blow.  The terms are not mutually exclusive as Terry explained.  You can have matte or satin Peach Blow or you can have glossy Peach Blow.

Peach Blow is another heat sensitive glass formula like amberina, where the "blush" or top pink color can be  developed in the glory hole after the piece is formed. But it looks like it can also be plated?

Your piece has a light interior - no color change in the throat of the piece.  I noticed looking in my Art Glass book that American (New England Glass) Peach Blow tends to have the color change on the outside and the inside where the pictures of Webb Peach Blow show a white "throat" like your piece.

I don't know if that helps or only confuses the matter  :lol:

Forgot to say:  Love your vase - just my style  :)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 04:30:51 PM »
Hello Ruth,

That's a very nice looking vase, I wish I could tell you who made it, but I don't know.

In my opinion;  you have a "cased glass" vase, pink (cranberry color) glass over white glass.

It was made by dipping a gather of white glass into pink (cranberry colored) glass. The gather was then given a slight tap on the bottom to push more of the outer color to the side, so when the piece was blown the bottom half would show more of the inner layer color and the outer color would be more concentrated going toward the top half.

The "Peachblow" name applies only if glass maker called it that, but many who see a piece of glass which shades from white to pink tend to jump to the conclusion that it is Peachblow, because the name has cachet in glass collecting.

The thing is;  many glass companies produced a bi-partite or shaded glassware in white to pink or white to some other color and each had their own marketing name for their products, so basically;  "Peachblow" is more of a glass company product name then it is a certain type of glass.  

The first to be called Peachblow was a cased glass version, by Hobbs-Brockunier & Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, which is only Amberina, (said to be the first bi-partite glass) plated over milk glass. The Webb version is a cased\plated pink (cranberry color) glass over a white glass, but the white lining is a different color than the other makers used. It has a slight bit of uranium oxide added to the white batch, giving the white glass a barely noticeable creamy yellow look, that becomes much more noticeable when a Webb piece is set side by side a piece made with a plain white glass. The white area on a Webb piece will glow green when exposed to a black light.

Other companies made items like this and some who borrowed the popular Peachblow name, were sued and had to change their product names, but it was too late since the general public kept referring to all of it as Peachblow anyway.

Shaded glass like this was done a number of different ways, some versions were done in cased glass and some in a homogeneous, heat sensitive glass that was re-struck (re-heated) on one area to make it turn another color in that area, so you see;  Peachblow is not a type of glass in a technical sense, but only a marketing name for some of this shaded glass is all. Finding out who the maker is will tell you if they once called it Peachblow or not.

Given that your piece has the rough unfinished pontil area on it I would say it is not likely a product of the most well known companies (Hobbs, Mt. Washington, New England, Webb, Shirley etc.) who (as far as I know) did fine finishing work on all of their items, grinding and polishing smooth the pontil areas.

--------------------

As for the Satin, Matte, Glossy finish;  This is just for the sake of interest, since it means very little to anyone these days.

Most people call any non-glossy finish glass "Satin". There are a number of older marketing names that were used by the glass companies, for their varied non-glossy finishes on their glass, but sellers and collectors mainly use the generic "Satin Glass" term these days, so it is barely important I guess, but I'll put it here anyway.

The three names I know offhand are -Satin, Peach-Skin and Plush- and then there is a completely Matte finish.

Satin Glass not only feels satiny to the touch, but it also looks satiny, with a bit of shine to it, just like satin cloth.

http://tinypic.com/htbiiv.jpg

Peach-Skin or Plush finishes have a soft, satiny feel, but not the satiny look.

http://tinypic.com/htbivd.jpg

The Matte finish has no satiny feel or look to it.

http://tinypic.com/htbjlt.jpg

That blue matte piece is by Fenton, who for marketing purposes often capitalizes on the glass names and terms used for antique art glass. They call that matte finish "Satin", even though it is only glass that has been sand-blasted and the surface is rough enough to file your finger nails down with, nothing about it suggests satin, but the maker calls it satin, so satin it is.

Peachblow & Satin Glass Is many things to many people, since there are sellers and collectors names and terms, and then there are the glass makers names and terms, so we are stuck with glass collecting history clashing with glass making history and it can sometimes be a real headache  :x when this happens.

Mike

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Is this satin glass?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:05:49 PM »
Thank you very much Connie and Mike,  now I can see that it does not look 'satiny'[ like satin] but feels that way. The base round the pontil is almost clear so that the inner lining is seen clearly. The outer casing changes in a quite imperceptible way to a grey white, then pink white and pink. The inner lining looks grey/white not yellowy. [I'm hoping to find a black light soon].
The shape is lovely but the finishing between the 'petals' of the rim is not perfect. So that plus the rough pontil may mean 'maker never to be known'.
Country ? English.
Thanks again, Ruth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand