Glass Message Board

Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests => Glass => Resolved Glass Queries => Topic started by: Anne on September 14, 2005, 12:05:02 AM

Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: Anne on September 14, 2005, 12:05:02 AM
Some members of the board may recall my query some months ago (,512.0.html) about the spiral decanter (the one that spirals the opposite way to all the other spiral glassware we've seen!) ( and Ivo suggested it may have been Italian in the absence of any marks being found on it.

Well, the mystery has finally been solved thanks to label glue!  What? I hear you say, so let me explain... on the bottom of the decanter was a patch of dried up glue which I could never manage to wash off, and which I was loath to attack with a scraping device in case it damaged the glass. So I turned the splodge to the wall and forgot all about it until putting back the glassware after redecorating the lounge. The light caught the splodge and I saw letters... rushing to get the camera I managed to get a photo of the outine of part of the label design left by the glue, which has by now dried out enough to make it clearly visible. The label reads RAY... Made in T..., ( so in a flash of inspiration I googled for Rayware and label and up came a result on Trcia's Glass Bud Vases website here ( and the mystery is solved... my spiral decanter is Rayware Made in Turkey.

Thanks to Ivo for his original thoughts, to Tricia for her Bud Vase site and for having a Rayware bud vase, but most of all to the label glue makers for having glue that wouldn't wash off and finally revealed the answer I couldn't find elsewhere. :)

Now, does anyone know anything about Rayware in Turkey...???  :lol:
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: Max on September 14, 2005, 08:58:04 AM
Great detective work Anne!   :D  :D   It's very satisfying to have an answer isn't it?  How's the decorating going btw?   :D
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: chopin-liszt on September 14, 2005, 12:12:54 PM
Rayware is a sort of umberella label for household stuff from quite a few sources. I've seen several pieces of glass, mostly made in Turkey. Some nice vases with blues and greens in, and those ubiquitous clear glass fruit bowl sets, the small bowls having a chunky stem.
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: Anne on September 14, 2005, 04:54:16 PM
Max, yes it is very satisfying! I whooped with delight when I realised I could see letters! My OH thought I'd flipped (again!!!).  :lol:  Decorating still ongoing... hall, stairs and landing next... the worst bit of the house to be done! :(

Sue, thanks for the Rayware info... the only bit I could find about Rayware is here but theirs is a different logo so I'm not sure if it's the same company?
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: bubbles on September 14, 2005, 10:37:00 PM
Well done Anne for that piece of detective work!  I'm glad you managed to make use of my site.  I know how it feels to finally identify something! Whoopeeeeeeee!  :D  :D  
On a visit to my sisters recently, I  found (in a charity shop) a vase I had a few of, which not only had a label on it, but also the designers name on the label.  I could barely contain my excitement until out of the shop, and grinned like a cheshire cat all the way home.  Sister thinks I'm ever so slightly mad of course but humours me nonetheless, bless her!
I did contact rayware on the site you found, but they didn't reply. :cry: So I can't say it definitely is them, but I haven't found anything else it could be.
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: paradisetrader on November 11, 2005, 04:07:58 PM
I have a set of Rayware crockery which I love. I found it at the junk market and it has become my croackery of choice for daily use. I'm very impressed by the quality of it.

I wonder if you saw my comments on Rayware on the Murano board ?
Rayware / Raymore
OK Rayware is probably the British side of the business or a separate British firm as Terry has never heard of them and I'm drinking out of one of their mugs and a very nice stylish one it is too.

Type Raymor (ooops no e) into and you will see all sorts of pottery and china as well as glass and other stuff.

I call these type of firms "re-labelers". They source worldwide then relabel or badge as their own most often hiding the true maker and country of origin. Just occaisionally you will find a "made in xxxx " sticker too so country in this case is known. But I did see one of their badged items which had a shipping label on the box mentioning "Kastrup" ...a Per Lutken designed opalescent shell bowl!

So they dealt in quality stuff and I believe even commissioned designs themselves. In the US Raymor has become a "brand" in itself eventhough I don't think they actually make anything.

Now some of that is guesswork so I'd be happy for any comments and corrections.

The Rayware mark on my crockery is a kind of ink stencil ....I think other marks at all.

It would be great if we could find some more glass with a Rayware or Raymor label.
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: Anne on November 12, 2005, 01:56:37 AM
Thanks Peter, yes I did read the Murano thread. I've not followed up on this yet (not had the time) but I shall do in due course. :)
Title: Spiral decanter - label glue shadow = Rayware
Post by: Ron on November 13, 2005, 12:20:39 PM
In the US Raymor was a line of pottery made by Roseville shortly before they closed in the early 1950's. It's always marked on the bottom Raymor, Roseville, USA.