Glass Message Board

Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests => Glass Paperweights => Topic started by: Trebor on January 31, 2011, 05:31:30 PM

Title: dump
Post by: Trebor on January 31, 2011, 05:31:30 PM
HI  i recently bought two new piece's one a vase and one is called a dump there are two question is the dump a paper wight & door stop or art glass and the second is I have a few piece's i would like to sell Where is the best place for this, is it on ebay or a special glass site?. Thank you
Title: Re: dump
Post by: tropdevin on February 01, 2011, 10:46:38 AM

I think that the dump is closer to paperweight than to art glass, but that is just an opinion.  I don't think there is any fixed definition. As for selling dumps, the market is not as strong as it was, except for unusual ones. There are too many around.  I would suggest eBay, but it depends what you hope to get for it.

Title: Re: dump
Post by: Trebor on February 01, 2011, 07:57:40 PM
Thanks Alan  i will probably swap it for a pieces Czech glass if I'm lucky!
Title: Re: dump
Post by: KevinH on February 02, 2011, 12:39:40 AM
I would be more definite that Alan about the "art glass" or "paperweight" distinction - at least, in respect of "dumps". In all that I have read about "dumps" I see no reason to think that any were made as "art glass".

But I would also say that many paperweights are "art glass" items so it is not always valid to ask if things are "art glass" or "paperweights"!  :)

There are (still) two main views about the origins of "dumps" - a) that they were "end of day" ("frigger") items made by workers for families and friends and b) that many were actually an approved factory output!!

As for sale of these, I agree about the current general market.
Title: Re: dump
Post by: tropdevin on February 02, 2011, 09:22:13 AM

Hi Kev.

I think that both (a) and (b) are correct.  I don't think that friggers would have the factory stamp on the base, which does occur with a limited number of Kilner and Redfearn pieces. I think the rare (and expensive...) Kilner weights with coloured centre flowers and a stamped base were production items, for example.

Title: Re: dump
Post by: Lustrousstone on February 02, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
As were the Hartley and Wood later dump-style weights. Don't know if they were marked though
Title: Re: dump
Post by: Trebor on February 02, 2011, 03:42:15 PM
Well thank you all  unfortunately there are  no marks on the Base , but sill there are no chips or scratches either.
Title: Re: dump
Post by: cfosterk on February 22, 2011, 11:50:54 PM
This dump is at the mid range of 'values' for dumps produced anytime from the 1840's onwards.

The most common will typically contain only bubble decorations
Next up are 'chalky' flower pot designs (not to be confused with sulphides)
Then 'foil' designs (as in your example)
Next up are the sulphide dumps - the more unusual the better
And finally labelled examples - Redfearn, Kilner Bros, or Kilner & Sons
Title: Re: dump
Post by: Trebor on February 23, 2011, 12:35:15 AM
Well thank you Cfosterk.This information is most helpfull as i range would like to swap it for a pieces of Czech or art glass of similar value . When you side mid values what sort of values would that be.