Re. glass inkstand RD 270525, registered by Henry Herbert of 2 Charterhouse Building, [Goswell Road], London, EC., on 17 February 1873 - Parcel 8.
This is the only design registered by Henry Herbert revealed by an online summary search at TNA.
From the London Gazette of 12 July, 1872:
NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore existing between us the undersigned, Henry Herbert and Thomas Higgins, carrying on business at 2, Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Rroad, in the county of Middlesex, as Merchants and Manufacturers, under the style of Herbert and Higgins, has been this day dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due and owing to and from the late concern will be received and paid by the said Henry Herbert, who will continue to carry on the said business on his own account.As witness our hands this 5th day of July, 1872.
Charterhouse Buildings stood on what is now the southern corner of Clerkenwell Road and Goswell Road. The stimulus for building them was the departure of Charterhouse School to Godalming and the sale of the old premises at the Charterhouse to the Merchant Taylors' Company as a new home for its own school. Part of the attraction was the spaciousness of the grounds. But given the Merchant Taylors' limited funds, and the need for alterations and extensive new building, a substantial part of the site, mostly playground and including the valuable frontages to Wilderness Row and Goswell Road, had to be let or sold for development. The property was conveyed to the Merchant Taylors in two lots, the intended building ground in 1868 and the remainder a few years later. In 1869 a small piece fronting Goswell Road was bought by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for building two adjoining vicarages: one for St Thomas's Charterhouse, immediately to the south of the plot, the other for St Mary's Charterhouse, in Playhouse Yard, between Golden Lane and Whitecross Street. At the same time, a deal was struck with two City warehousemen, Henry Thomas Tubbs and Joseph Lewis, for the development of the rest of the building ground. Tubbs and Lewis built up most of the ground themselves, initially taking leases of the new buildings and subsequently exercising their option to buy the freeholds of both built-up and still-vacant plots. Their buildings were designed by the architect John Collier.
Of the original development by Tubbs and Lewis of 18704 only a fragment survives: Nos 47 Charterhouse Buildings in Goswell Road, erected in 1870. Many of the buildings were destroyed by fire in 1885. In this conflagration, reportedly the biggest London had seen since the Tooley Street blaze of 1861, the warehouses were reduced to rubble, their walls burst apart by the expansion of the iron floor-beams.
Their replacements, and several more of the buildings, including Foresters' Hall and the two vicarages (Nos 27 and 27A Goswell Road) suffered heavy bomb-damage in the Second World War and had to be demolished. Much of the vacant land was acquired by St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College for building on, but remained vacant for many years, used only as parking space. Redevelopment of this site, which extends from Clerkenwell Road behind Charterhouse Buildings to Goswell Street, began in 2006. The new buildings, collectively called Charterhouse the Square, comprise flats and some commercial spaces, together with a cardiac and cancer research centre for Bart's Hospital