These forums are provided as a free service by Angela Bowey's Glass Museum
to provide a space for collectors to discuss and identify their glass and for glass related discussions in general. This is not a commercial service and everyone involved is motivated only by a love of glass and a willingness to share their own knowledge. This has resulted in a unique community with a network of experts covering a huge spectrum of glassmaking and collecting. Many of those involved contribute material to the Glass Museum
and you can find a lot of useful information by browsing that site and our sister site, The Glass Encyclopedia
Many people come here looking for valuations and sometimes expect a quick response - well, we do ask you to be patient as:
- Not everyone drops by on a daily basis. It may take a week or two, or longer, to get a reply. Some after many months! Bumping after a month is fine.
- Any value indications that are given are only opinions and will be in the answerer's currency; it is up to you to convert to your currency.
- Many members are not native English speakers.
- We cover many cultures and what may be an innocent statement in one culture might cause offence in another culture. Please be tolerant.
- We are only human and can make mistakes too!
- Sometimes we get sidetracked and diverge from the topic of a thread, this is just the 'thinking out loud' process, we usually get back to the original question at some point.
- Threads that have too much chatter will be split to the cafe so that the original question and discussions are kept clear.
Moderation is rarely a unilateral decision as moderators generally discuss any sensitive posts with other committee members. If you wish to raise an issue about a topic with a moderator please use the Report to Moderator link on the topic or contact one of the moderators directly - all moderators can be identified by their status below their name on posts and on their profile.Guidance for posting messages on The Glass Message Board
Please post all identification questions in the GLASS or GLASS PAPERWEIGHTS forums - the other forums are intended for more general discussions.Improving the appearance of your messages
For your guidance, the following are not permitted on the Glass Message Board
- If you post an image please keep it small, for large images it is best to put in an URL link to your image. Instructions for posting images can be found here.
- To use the BBCODE to add colour images etc., help can be found by clicking on the BBCODE option to the left of the posting screen. You can also reach it here.
- HTML is not allowed.
Possible reasons for removal of messages by the Moderator(s) would include: those which are offensive to other people, for reasons other than the content of the argument being made (if any); messages which pertain to personal disputes; messages which are threatening, intimidatory, insulting, obscene, abusive, or obnoxious; attempts to deliberately deceive other members. As this is not always immediately clear, the Moderator(s) may err on the side of caution. Please also note that:-
- Messages containing elements that are obscene, vulgar, blasphemous, racist or sexist
- Messages that are defamatory or libelous. As this is not always immediately clear, the Moderator(s) may err on the side of caution.
If you want any help or further guidance, e-mail one of the Moderators who will be only too pleased to assist, or post your question as a new thread. Please do NOT e-mail identification requests to the moderator, post a new topic.
- If you wish to draw attention to an on-line auction which you consider to be ‘not as described’ you may provide a link to the auction but you should only state that “in my opinion this piece has not been described correctly.” Or, for example, in the case of a signature that you feel is incorrect “the signature does not appear to be genuine.” It would also be advisable to ask if others have any opinion. Do not state anything is a fact, unless you can provide documentary proof!
- If it is felt that a posting is taking an unfair position in respect of a person selling on an on-line auction the posting will be removed or edited to remove bias.
- You may refer people to specific on-line auction numbers if you want to have guidance, comments, information etc about an item. Some visitors prefer not to comment on live auctions.
- If you are praising or recommending an individual for any reason, you may include their name and contact details. However, it is essential that you clear this with the individual concerned in advance, if you wish to include information such as personal phone numbers, email addresses etc.
- No offer to e-mail names, ID’s etc. of dubious sellers/buyers (i.e a “black list”) will be allowed on the Message Board.
- Opinion should cite any references where possible
- Please do not respond to malicious postings. Feeding the ego just encourages them, ignore them and they go away. You can reply that you find a posting offensive and ask for moderators to review it.
The committee is a group of members including collectors, makers and dealers from around the world who give advice to the moderators and owner of this board. They make the hard work more fun behind the scenes and they share the burden of keeping this Glass Message Board worthy of the support that you all give to it.
Threads which cause problems can be temporarily removed and reviewed. They will usually be re-instated after the problems have been resolved.Please also note that material contained on the Glass Message Board is the opinion of the individual author(s), and does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Moderator(s) or the Board Owner.